Re: The object of meditation in metta meditation

  • kenhowardau
    Message 1 of 95 , Dec 31, 2008
      Hi Alan,

      I am glad we have been able to disagree amicably, and I hope you will
      find the information you are looking for. You won't get it
      from me, though. :-)

      --------------
      A: > As much as I appreciate your intent to be helpful, I have to say
      I am approaching all of this in a different way. I have worked with
      teachers whom I greatly admire. When you say that what they teach,
      which is the "common practice of metta meditation," does not work, I
      have to object. To me they are living proof that it does work because
      they are amongst the kindness and most loving people I have ever met.
      ---------------

      You are not alone in wanting to be a kind-hearted person. Many DSG
      members share that ambition. Others of us, however, are trying to
      understand that kind-heartedness is just a fleeting, conditioned
      dhamma. Ultimately, there are no people who have kind-heartedness or
      any other characteristic - there are only dhammas.

      Ken H

      Message 95 of 95 , Jan 23, 2009
        Hi Robert

        > It still doesn't make sense to me that having *any* view of "another
        > sentient being" could ever be kusala, given that it is a delusion.
        > Having kusala metta arise for a delusory concept of a person would
        > seem to be wishing non-suffering to a source of suffering, namely
        the
        > very illusion of self that we are trying to gain release from.

        Would you mind clarifying what you mean by a "view of "another
        sentient being"". Do you mean just any idea at all? If so that
        would suggest that most people's day was filled with wrong view.

        As I understand it there is a distinction to be made between the
        concept of a being and the view that beings are 'real' in the
        ultimate sense. The former does not necessarily imply the latter.