Funeral of Peter Swan

  • rjkjp1
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2008
      Sukinder , Ivan Kevin, and me, and many, many others attended the
      funeral service for Peter at Wat That Thong in Bangkok . On Tuesday we
      listened to monks chanting, and on Saturday, as suggested by Khun sujin,
      Sukin , Ivan, Num and myself presented robes and requisites(bought by
      donors) to the 4 monks who were chanting. Yesterday was the burning of
      the body and at that there was a presentation of Dhamma books and also
      chanting from the Abhidhamma by monks.
      Marisi, Peter's Thai wife, welcomed many of the attendees and mentioned
      that she intended to keep coming to the English discusions on Saturdays at
      the Dhamma study Group in Bukkalo.

      We missed seeing Sarh and Jon, Nina W., and Tom and Bev all of whom
      were unable to make it due to the bizarre protests in bangkok. (My
      daughter, up for New Zealand, attended the discussion on Saturday and it
      looks like she might be still here for the next one.)
      Robert
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2008
        Hi Rob

        Many thanks for this report of the funeral service. We were very
        sorry not to have been able to make it to Bangkok. Your description
        of the proceedings is appreciated.

        Jon

        PS I had not realised that domestic travel was also so badly
        affected.
        Your daughter may be with you for quite a while yet!

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "rjkjp1" <rjkjp1@...> wrote:

        > Sukinder , Ivan Kevin, and me, and many, many others attended the
        > funeral service for Peter at Wat That Thong in Bangkok . On
        Tuesday we
        > listened to monks chanting, and on Saturday, as suggested by Khun
        sujin,
        > Sukin , Ivan, Num and myself presented robes and requisites(bought
        by
        > donors) to the 4 monks who were chanting. Yesterday was the burning
        of
        > the body and at that there was a presentation of Dhamma books and
        also
        > chanting from the Abhidhamma by monks.
        > Marisi, Peter's Thai wife, welcomed many of the attendees and
        mentioned
        > that she intended to keep coming to the English discusions on
        Saturdays at
        > the Dhamma study Group in Bukkalo.
        >
        > We missed seeing Sarh and Jon, Nina W., and Tom and Bev all of whom
        > were unable to make it due to the bizarre protests in bangkok. (My
        > daughter, up for New Zealand, attended the discussion on Saturday
        and it
        > looks like she might be still here for the next one.)
        > Robert
      • gazita2002
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2008
          Hello Rob,

          thank you for this. I was wondering how it all went. There are
          many Thai people unable to leave Bodhgaya due to the closure of Thai
          airports. Not only Thai, many others whose flights were to go via
          Bangkok.
          One never knows what the next moment will bring.

          May all beings be happy,
          azita

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2008
            Dear Robert (and Azita),
            Were there any speakers at the funeral, and what reminders Kh.
            Sujin gave? Always useful to hear.
            Nina.
            Op 3-dec-2008, om 6:19 heeft gazita2002 het volgende geschreven:

            > Hello Rob,
            >
            > thank you for this.

          • rjkjp1
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 3, 2008
              --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom
              <vangorko@...> wrote:

              > Dear Robert (and Azita),
              > Were there any speakers at the funeral, and what reminders Kh.
              > Sujin gave? Always useful to hear.
              > Nina.
              > Op 3-dec-2008, om 6:19 heeft gazita2002 het volgende geschreven:
              >
              > > Hello Rob,
              > >
              > > thank you for this.

              Dear Nina,
              No speakers except for the monks. on saturday we met at the Wat after a
              dhamma discussion at the DSSF.
              with respect
              Robert