Series Survey Quotes

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2008
      Dear friends

      Do we apply the Dhamma with perseverance and courage, and are we
      inspired and gladdened because of it? We can take courage and be
      inspired when kusala citta arises. Some people may be unhappy, they
      may worry about it that they are becoming older and that sati arises
      very seldom. When someone worries the citta is akusala. We should not
      because of the Dhamma worry, or have akusala cittas. The Buddha
      taught the Dhamma so that people would be encouraged to apply it, to
      develop it with perseverance and gladness, and be inspired by it. All
      akusala arises because of conditions, there is no self who can
      prevent its arising. When akusala citta has already arisen, we should
      not be downhearted, but we can take courage, and if there can be
      awareness of the characteristic of akusala which appears we can be
      inspired by the Dhamma. If we investigate the characteristic of
      akusala dhamma which appears at that moment, we shall know that it is
      not a being, not a person or self. We can clearly see that at the
      moment of awareness there is no akusala, that we are not downhearted.
      If one does not take akusala for self one will not be disturbed nor
      discouraged because of it.
      Akusala dhamma arises because of conditions, and when it has arisen,
      we should, instead of worry about it again and again, be aware of its
      characteristic, investigate it and understand it as not self. This is
      the only way to have less akusala and to eventually eradicate it.
      When satipatthåna is developed people will come to know what it means
      to be inspired, gladdened and purified because of the benefit
      acquired from the realization of the Dhamma. They will experience
      that the truth of the Dhamma they realize is purifying and that it is
      to their benefit. We shall know this when the characteristics of
      realities can be known as they are.

      ********