Re: [dsg] More on anatta

  • sprlrt
    Message 1 of 74 , Oct 31, 2008
      Hi Sarah

      I'm not very familiar yet with the Survey's chapter on Vipassana
      bhavana, to which I was referring when writing about it, I just wanted
      to point out the importance of being anatta :-)
      The samma-ditthi factor of the Path spells out anatta very cleary, by
      being panna itself and by being the opposite of miccha-ditthi, which
      is directly connected with atta.
      And since samma-magga, patipatti and satipatthana are one and the same
      thing, some degree of 'anattaness' is required even before
      vipassana-nana stages, right from the start of patipatti, and to be
      acquired through pariyatti.

      Alberto
    • Alex
      Message 74 of 74 , Nov 30, 2008
        Hi Sarah,

        I didn't mean it differently. A concept of a person is based on 5
        khandas, just like a concept of anything is based on 5 khandas.

        Buddha has never denied conventional people and situations. The whole
        sutta pitaka is testament to that. Just remember the conditioned,
        impermanent, inconstant, stressful and Anatta nature of everything.

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, sarah abbott
        <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:

        > Hi Alex & all,
        >
        > --- On Thu, 27/11/08, Alex <truth_aerator@...> wrote:
        > A:> There IS a person named such and such, it is just that that
        person is
        > anicca-dukkha- anatta.
        >
        > "And which is the carrier of the burden? 'The person,' it should be
        > said. This venerable one with such a name, such a clan-name. This
        is
        > called the carrier of the burden."
        > http://www.accessto insight.org/ tipitaka/ sn/sn22/sn22. 022.than.
        html
        extract from one I wrote a long time ago:

        > >"Spk: Thus, by the expression 'the carrier of the burden,' he
        shows the
        > person to be a mere convention. For the person is called the
        carrier of
        > the burden because it 'picks up' the burden of the aggregates at the
        > moment of rebirth, maintains the burden by bathing, feeding,
        seating, and
        > laying them down during the course of life, and then discards them
        at the
        > moment of death, only to take up another burden of aggregates at the
        > moment of rebirth."
        >
        > >S: I think we should read suttas like this in the context of all
        the other
        > suttas in Khandhasa.myutta which stress again and again that the
        only
        > conditioned dhammas which exist at this very moment are the 5
        khandhas, no
        > separate person.
        >
        > >SN22:94 Flowers:
        >
        > "And what is it, bhikkhus, that the wise in the world agree upon as
        > existing, of which I too say that it exists? Form that is
        impermanent,
        > suffering, and subject to change: this the wise in the world agree
        upon as
        > existing, and I too say that it exists.
        Feeling ...Perception...Volitional