EGO= Double Trouble ;-)

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2008
      Friends:

      'I'-dentification leads both to mental & bodily Suffering:

      The Blessed Buddha once explained the root of EGOISM like this:
      How, friends, is one troubled both in body and troubled in mind?
      Here, friends, the uneducated ordinary person, who is not a friend
      of the Noble Ones and is unskilled and untrained in their Dhamma,
      who is not a friend of any Great Men, and is unskilled and untrained in
      their Dhamma, such one regards form as a ‘self’, or ‘self’ as possessing
      form, or form as inside ‘self’, or ‘self’ as inside form. He lives obsessed
      by the notions: 'I am form, this form is mine'... As he lives obsessed
      by these notions, that form of his inevitably changes, alters & decays!
      With the change and alteration of this form, there arises in him sorrow,
      lamentation, grief, pain, discontent, and quite much desperate despair...
      Such one regards feeling, perception, construction & consciousness as
      the ‘self’, or the ‘self’ as possessing feeling, perception, construction &
      consciousness, or feeling, perception, construction & consciousness as
      hidden inside the ‘self’, or the ‘self’ as hidden inside feeling, perception,
      construction & consciousness. He lives obsessed & possessed by these
      subconscious concepts: 'I am this very feeling, perception, construction &
      consciousness, this feeling, perception, construction & consciousness is
      all mine'... As he lives obsessed by these imaginations, his feeling, experience,
      mental construction & consciousness inevitably changes, & decays... With this
      change and alteration of feeling, perception, construction & consciousness,
      there arises in him sorrow, crying, pain, discontent, & desperate despair...
      It is in this way, friends, that one is troubled both in body and in mind!!!

      On the fact of the No same inner “‘self’” exists: EGO = Double Trouble!
      http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/IV/Anatta_No_%e2%80%99self%e2%80%99.htm <http://What-Buddha-Said.net/drops/IV/Anatta_No_Self.htm>

      Source:
      The Grouped Sayings by the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya 22(1): [III 1-5]
      <http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507> http://www.pariyatti.com/book.cgi?prod_id=948507
      <http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/sn22-001.html> http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/samyutta/sn22-001.html

      Have a nice ‘self’less day!

      Friendship is the Greatest *