Re: [DhammaStudyGroup] good intentions

  • Rinriver@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 30 11:08 PM
      Dear AT
      I was born and raise in Thailand, my whole life I've been
      exposed to Buddhism teaching,but only few years ago
      that I had met A.Sujin. A friend of mine had invited her to
      visit the Bay Area and give the dhamma teaching.

      Since then I have been studying Praramatthadhamma till now
      we have 2 classes a week in Thai and 1 in English.
      Then I knew it rightaway that I've found the right teaching
      as supposed to my past study and practice which leave me unclear
      confused and craving for more attachments.
      I use to think that meditation will calm me, give me more power
      so I can concentrate and able to solve my problems.
      Well, now I know I was totally wrong....
      And it's very interesting now I've found out...the more I learn the more
      I realize how much ignorance I have accumulated..
      Witm metta,
    • axtran@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
        --- In dhammastudygroup@egroups.com, Rinriver@a... wrote:
        > Dear AT
        > I was born and raise in Thailand, my whole life I've been
        > exposed to Buddhism teaching,but only few years ago
        > that I had met A.Sujin. A friend of mine had invited her to
        > visit the Bay Area and give the dhamma teaching.
        >
        > Since then I have been studying Praramatthadhamma till now
        > we have 2 classes a week in Thai and 1 in English.
        > Then I knew it rightaway that I've found the right teaching
        > as supposed to my past study and practice which leave me unclear
        > confused and craving for more attachments.
        > I use to think that meditation will calm me, give me more power
        > so I can concentrate and able to solve my problems.
        > Well, now I know I was totally wrong....
        > And it's very interesting now I've found out...the more I learn the
        more
        > I realize how much ignorance I have accumulated..
        > Witm metta,

        Dear O and friends,

        When sitting for meditation, I also note that dhammas occur at the
        rupa and nama cannot be controlled. Sometimes, we have a calm
        sitting, and quite often, we don't. Our function is only to observe
        and to accept them as they are. Truly, everything is anatta.

        After the meditation period, I'm back to daily life. Again, I see
        that there's nothing controllable. I feel that by meditating and
        studying the materials I have on hand, it will help me tremendously
        to realize anicca, dukkha, and anatta more and more clearly.
        Gradually, perhaps, I don't need to sit for meditation any more.

        With Metta,
        AT
      • m. nease
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
          Dear Sarah,

          Thanks again for the welcome. Not much to tell about
          me...zen student for about ten years, theravada for
          about 12, anagarika ordination at Wat Pah Nanachat for
          six months (a long time ago!), 3 month intensive
          meditation retreat at Mahasi Sasana Yeiktha. Plan to
          return to WPN for ordination next rains.

          At present, and thanks in part to correspondence with
          Robert, investigation of abhidhamma is of compelling
          interest--hence my interest in your splendid group.

          You might say that I bounced from over-emphasis on
          samatha to overemphasis on satipatthana, and am now
          cultivating overemphasis on dhammavicaya. Ha!
          Whattaya gonna do? Just sankhara, I guess...

          Look forward to talking with all of you...

          mn

          --- Sarah Procter Abbott <sarahhk@...> wrote:
          > Dear mn and Alex,
          >
          > I'm also very glad to hear your conributions on the
          > list and I'm glad you've
          > found us. Thankyou Alex for the brief details. If
          > either of you feel like
          > giving a little more 'history' of your study and
          > interest in the dhamma,
          > we'd all be glad to hear.
          >
          > mn, as Robert said, pls don't think twice about
          > replying out of context...we
          > all do it and it's part of the fun of the list
          > discussion. We're all quite
          > direct and often disagree on points. This is often
          > how we learn. We also
          > appreciate your good intentions! I'll comment more
          > on the points later.
          >
          > Keep posting!
          >
          > Sarah
          >

          > >Dear O and AT,
          > >
          > >No offense intended! Sorry if I replied out of
          > >context...
          > >
          > >mn

          > http://www.hotmail.com
          >
          > Share information about yourself, create your own
          > public profile at
          > http://profiles.msn.com

          http://photos.yahoo.com/
        • Robert Kirkpatrick
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 1, 2000
            Dear mn,

            > You might say that I bounced from over-emphasis on
            > samatha to overemphasis on satipatthana, and am now
            > cultivating overemphasis on dhammavicaya. Ha!
            > Whattaya gonna do? Just sankhara, I guess...

            Good to see your light heart. Buddhism can be a
            serious business sometimes; the more humour(especially
            of the SELF-deprecating kind) the better.
            Robert

            http://photos.yahoo.com/
          • axtran@hotmail.com
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 4, 2000
              Dear Sarah,

              I think that it's fine the way it is because everything happens
              when enough conditions are met. When we're ready, we'll find the
              sources, don't you think? Otherwise, even if it's right under our
              nose, we still ignore it.

              You're doing great. I have no complaint. Thank you.

              With Metta,
              Alex

              --- In dhammastudygroup@egroups.com, "Sarah Procter Abbott"
              <sarahhk@h...> wrote:
              > Dear Alex,
              >
              > We're all glad you found your way here eventually, even if it was a
              little
              > difficult to track down this discussion group. Do you have any
              suggestions
              > we should implement to make it easier for others? This group is now
              listed
              > under Buddhism - Theravada groups. While we've been happy to let it
              grow
              > slowly, it's not meant to be an obstacle course! It's lucky Amara &
              Varee
              > have the link on their website.
              >
              > Thanks for all your kind comments.
              >
              > metta, Sarah
              >
              > />Dear Sarah and friends,
              > >
              > > I was exposed to Mahayana Buddhism at first. Then, later, I
              studied
              > >meditation with Mr. Goenka. It lead me to study Theravada
              Buddhism, just
              > >like it did with Leonardo. Now, when meditating, I observe my
              breath or
              > >observing the rising and falling of the tummy. By chance, I read
              one of
              > >the
              > >posts by Robert that mentioned Alan's website. However, I could
              not open
              > >it. So, I searched for Nina Van Gorkom, and found out that her
              book was
              > >out-of-print with Amazon.com. Thanks to O, I have that book now.
              The
              > >search engine also showed Amara's Website. Her website pointed me
              to this
              > >Forum. And here I am. :-)))
              > >
              > >With Metta,
              > >AT

              http://www.hotmail.com

              > >Share information about yourself, create your own public profile at
              > >http://profiles.msn.com

              http://www.hotmail.com

              > http://profiles.msn.com
            • Sarah Procter Abbott