Re: [dsg] Re:How does rebirth happen? cuticitta-->-?--> patisandhicitta

  • Herman Hofman
    Message 1 of 33 , Jun 30, 2008
      Hi Alex,

      2008/6/30 Alex <truth_aerator@...>:
      > Hi Herman,
      >

      > There may be such a thing called (quantum) non-locality. Last moment
      > of consciousness (Citta, nama, cetasika, call it as you will) sends
      > and conditions the first moment of the consciousness in a new
      > organism which is logical continuation. What is sent could be "I
      > am", a separate 1st person perspective/separation.

      I would think that a logical continuation would need to take into
      account that consciousness is dependent on form. There can be no
      logical continuation between a human consciousness and a worm
      consciousness, for example. The hardware is just not the same, IMO.
      And that same argument would hold for human to human continuation. A
      baby's brain is significantly different to an adult brain, it cannot
      produce a consciousness that is vaguely similar to an adult's.

      Cheers

      Herman
    • Alex
      Message 33 of 33 , Jul 1 6:07 AM
        Hi Herman,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Herman Hofman"
        <hhofmeister@...> wrote:

        > Hi Alex,
        >
        > 2008/6/30 Alex <truth_aerator@...>:
        > > Hi Herman,
        > >

        > > There may be such a thing called (quantum) non-locality. Last
        moment
        > > of consciousness (Citta, nama, cetasika, call it as you will)
        sends
        > > and conditions the first moment of the consciousness in a new
        > > organism which is logical continuation. What is sent could be "I
        > > am", a separate 1st person perspective/separation.
        >
        > I would think that a logical continuation would need to take into
        > account that consciousness is dependent on form.

        Yes consciousness IS dependent on something.

        >There can be no logical continuation between a human consciousness
        >and a worm consciousness, for example.

        Often very old (and senile) people do behave like children. So there
        may be correlation.

        >The hardware is just not the same, IMO.

        The hardware isn't the same in a 1 month, 5 year, 25 year, 85 year
        old "John". Yet they aren't different "streams". One ever changing
        cause-effect stream.

        And again, due to conditionality, impermanence and not self, the
        conscious capacity, functioning, content, frequently changes.

        Reading a bit of stuff on Quantum Mechanics suggests that there may
        be a nonlocal communication, maybe even transferance of the conscious
        stream through time-space.

        Best wishes,

        Alex