Re: [DhammaStudyGroup] Re: Jhanas Are Within Our Reach

  • Robert Epstein
    Message 1 of 73 , Sep 30, 2001
      --- Jonothan Abbott <jonoabb@...> wrote:

      > I don't think I've decided anything, at least, not in the sense of being
      > closed to discussion on the subject. I do of course have a view, based
      > partly on the assumption that if a particular posture had any special
      > significance it would have been mentioned in the suttas, and partly on my
      > reading of the Satipatthana Sutta which says that awareness is to be
      > developed in whichever of the 4 postures one finds oneself at the time (I
      > think you would be familiar with the passage in question).
      >
      > I am open to discussion, however, if you would like to put anything
      > forward. ;-))
      >
      > Jon

      Very kind of you, Jon. I don't have anything to quote at present, and I think you
      are probably right that there was nothing said about the lotus posture being
      particularly expedient, although I think Howard mentioned that it was prescribed
      for meditating on the breath in the Anapanasati Sutra, unless I'm remembering
      wrong [which is very possible].

      I think it must be true in any case, that awareness should be developed in all of
      the positions one finds oneself in. This is a little different from 'meditation
      practice', but that doesn't assume tbat meditation is the only way to practice,
      either.

      Best Regards,
      Robert Ep.

      http://phone.yahoo.com
    • robertkirkpatrick@rocketmail.com
      Message 73 of 73 , Oct 1, 2001
        Dear Rob Ep.,
        Yep, it was me who said that anapanasati requires special conditions
        including posture . This is indicated in the suttas and commentaries.
        robert k.---