Re: [dsg] Real Experience of Abhidhamma Questions.

  • LBIDD@webtv.net
    Message 1 of 130 , Feb 29, 2008
      Hi Howard,

      Howard: "The bottom line is that until one really knows the facts and
      has a genuine basis for confidence, doubt, in the sense of lack of
      certainty, is sane and good! Some of the dumbest people in the world are
      the most certain!"

      Larry: I don't doubt it but it seems to me that there is a grasping in
      both doubt and dogmatic certainty. I was thinking of doubt as habitual
      skepticism but uncertainty applies too. Everyone who is certain thinks
      they have a basis for certainty. One who is uncertain may want to gain
      certainty, to be the best, invulnerable to attack of any kind. Or
      perhaps the uncertain one may just stick his head in the sand and say "I
      don't know". Neither approach is really open to the present moment.
      Doubt can be banished by clear seeing but I wouldn't call that dogmatic
      certainty. No doubt there will always be doubts but I'm trying to make a
      case for not making doubt one's "vehicle".

      Larry
    • Jonothan Abbott
      Message 130 of 130 , Mar 7, 2008
        Hi Tep

        Tep Sastri wrote:
        > Dear Jonathan, -
        >
        > Thank you very much for having been patient and kind to me since the
        > day I joined DSG.
        >
        > I think our main difference in the Dhamma understanding is
        > about "practice". And that one most-important word neatly wraps up our
        > long Dhamma discussion -- IMHANAO there is no hope that we'll ever
        > change that.

        Well I don't share your pessimism ;-)). I'm sure we are closer in
        understanding today than we were when you first joined DSG. And I have
        every confidence that the gap will continue to narrow.

        Thanks for your kind words. Always good talking to you.