Re: [dsg] Patthaana, to Han.

    Message 1 of 371 , Jan 31, 2008
      Dear Han,
      Op 1-feb-2008, om 0:35 heeft han tun het volgende geschreven:

      > If my old fragile body permits me, I will write again
      > slowly bit by bit. But let me first finish posting the
      > serials on your �Perfections.�
      ------
      N: The Buddha to Nakulapitar: though body is sick, the mind will not
      be sick.
      I understand your computer troubles in the past. Meanwhile, where
      can I find Ashin Thitzana?

      Message 371 of 371 , Apr 1, 2008
        Dear Alex (& Scott),

        Butting in here....

        --- Alex <truth_aerator@...> wrote:
        > >Scott: AN 2. Dukanipaata 3. Baalavaggo
        > >
        > > "32. Bhikkhus, these two things are on the side of wisdom
        > > (vijjaabhaagiyaa). Which two? Calm (samatho) and insisght
        > > (vipassanaa). Bhikkhus, what is the result of developing calm? The
        > > mind is developed. What is the result of a developing the mind?
        > > Whatever greed fades.
        > >
        > > Bhikkhus, what is the result of developing insight. Wisdom gets
        > > enhanced. What is the use of enhanced wisdom? Whatever ignorance
        > > fades. Even the minor defilements, do not release the mind. The
        > minor
        > > defilements of ignorance do not enhance wisdom. Thus bhikkhus, with
        > > the fading of greed there is release of mind and with the fading of
        > > ignorance release through wisdom."
        >
        >A: 2 comments about this very famous sutta:
        > 1) Vipassana comes WITH Samatha
        S: Exactly! Vipassana cannot arise or develop without samatha. In fact
        there cannot be any kusala of any kind without samatha(calm). Even at
        moments of dana or sila without any wisdom, there is calm as opposed to
        restlessness. As satipatthana develops, so does the accompanying samatha.

        (you can't clearly see the mind
        > overtaken by hindrances, and the mind overtaken by hindrances CAN'T
        > see clearly anyways)
        S: With the development of vipassana the hindrances are gradually worn
        away. At moments of insight (or satipatthana or any kind of kusala), there
        are no defilements arising.

        > 2) Samatha develops the mind, which IS important for insight to take
        > over and see DO.
        S: Pa~n~naa develops the mind from the very beginning. It is accompanied
        by samatha.

        > 3) In many suttas where "Vipassana" is mentioned, Samatha is
        > mentioned right there as well. Both are like two legs, you need BOTH!
        S: Exactly! They develop together. This is the insight accompanied by
        samatha which understands dhammas as anatta. It does not mean that samatha
        without insight has to be developed first.

        ======