Re: [dsg] Re: My Understanding of Ajahn Sujin's Interpretation of the Dhamma/...

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 57 , Dec 1, 2007
      Hi, Ken (and Phil) -

      In a message dated 12/1/2007 11:38:21 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      ashkenn2k@... writes:

      Hi Phil

      > The answer is "understanding and detachment from whatever reality
      > is already conditioned." I personally don't have any aspirations to
      > live alone in the forest. But early in the morning, before anyone
      > gets up, and the house and all around is quiet, for example, and I
      > can sit and watch where my mind is going - that' a kind of
      > seclusion, and I can learn a lot about my hindrances. For example,
      > I would not have come to understand the characteristics of the
      > hindrance that rules me so strongly at such times, sloth and
      > torpor, without that kind of seclusion. Wouldn't have come to
      understand it as well if I were just carrrying on in busy daily life,
      without that seclusion. That sort of thing is what I mean by
      seclusion. It would be good to be a bhikkhu too, I suppose, but my
      role is in public life.

      KO: I would like to give you suggestions. Rather than watching
      where the mind go, how about understanding the mind.
      Howard:
      That's not understanding the mind. It is understanding statements about
      the mind. Khun Sujin and Nina don't urge not watching the mind so far as I
      know.

      For eg, when
      you are sitting down, when a sound arise from a passing vehicle or
      birds singing etc. How does sound arise, it is the meeting of sound
      base, sound object and sound citta. Understand the reality of the
      senses rather than waiting for it to arise, thats to me, makes more
      sense.
      Howard:
      That is not understanding the reality of the senses. That is just
      thinking about claims. When there is actual awareness of "the coming together of
      the three," that is understanding the reality. The teachings are pointings. If
      we get directions from mapquest but merely read them again and again but not
      take the trip, well ... . Ehipassiko, Ken.

      This is my view but I am not a meditator so maybe I am wrong.

      Howard:
      Well, I understand your perspective, but I think it is mistaken. I don't
      dismiss the possibility, though, that it is I who am mistaken.

      You could also catch these small meditation seculsion like when doing
      your "business" in the office toilet, or if you take public
      transport, understand your the objects that comes into the senses.
      Howard:
      Yes, very important. And especially fruitful to do so with a mind calmed
      by meditation.

      Even walking could be also helping but do becareful of traffic :-).
      These are fun things to do :-).
      Howard:
      Certainly, and very worthwhile.

      Cheers
      Ken O
      ===========================

      phantom, and a dream/

      (From the Diamond Sutra)

    • buddhatrue
      Message 57 of 57 , Feb 13, 2008
        Hi Sarah,

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "sarahprocterabbott"
        <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:

        > S: This is where we differ already. Nanavira thinks a living being is
        > formed and that somehow this is sankhara. I'd say, the 5 khandhas are
        > formed up, conditioned and there is no living being anywhere.

        Yes, I know that you believe that. I believe that if you define
        sankhara as dhamma, you miss the point.

        Hope you get well in Thailand!

        Metta,
        James