[dsg] Re: Preserving the Buddha's Teachings, Ch 4, no 3.

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 85 , Nov 30, 2007
      Hello DC,

      Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

      Best Regards,

      Robert A.

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, DC Wijeratna
      <dcwijeratna@...> wrote:

      > Hello Robert,
      >
      > I just want to add one comment to your e-m to Nina from my own
      experience. I have been reading the Satipa.t,thaana for well over 40
      years. I remember getting acquainted with it when I was about 17;
      trying to practice vipassanaa. I haven't even got past the first stage.

      > One thing I have learnt is: there is nothing that you learn without
      actually practising. The sutta will remain a mere set words. MERE
      SOUNDS. Nothing more than that. The practice means just to watch the
      breath (for example). No thinking. Just note. And when you do that and
      read the sutta again, you discover meanings in the sutta. And now I
      have come to the following conclusions: dhammas are the units of
      experience. the only dhamma you really know is your own experience.
      You cannot know another's mind, or even your own mind as a
      puthujjana. Well I am not going to 'die.' I'll keep on becoming. May be
      someday we'll even meet. DC

    • kenhowardau
      Message 85 of 85 , Jan 26, 2008
        Hi DC,

        On the subject of not writing sooner, please don't worry on my
        account. I am notorious for that sort of thing.

        It is hard to know where to draw the line, but we can't be clogging
        the list with messages that simply say "Thank you," and "Not at all,
        it was nothing," "No, really, you were very kind, thank you
        again," "No, I insist . . " and so on (on and on).
        :-)

        Ken H