Re: [dsg] The Fallacy of Ultimate Vs Conventional Vedantist add onto Buddhis...

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 111 , Nov 20, 2007
      Hi, DC -

      In a message dated 11/19/2007 11:59:27 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
      dcwijeratna@... writes:

      22. So, the older Abhidhamma was the Brahamanic God, the new Abhidhamma is
      the God of the Judaic-Christian religious tradition.

      ===============================
      Sarvastivadin Abhidhamma is certainly substantialist and tends towards
      eternalism. But this isn't at all so of the Theravadin Abhidhamma, nor am I
      aware of any tendency within it in that direction.
      I've heard Theravadin Abhidhamma, more the commentaries actually [It
      isn't clear to me that momentarism and its "cure" in bhavangasota was much in
      eveidence in the Abhidhamma itself], criticized as seeming to promote a
      discrete pluralism of momentary self-existent realities, reifying dhammas (though
      certainly not the "the person"), but I've never ever heard of a theistic
      accusation hurled at either the Abhidhamma or the commentarial tradition. That is
      something new to me. I can't imagine how that position could be seriously
      defended. That "God" business really confuses and perplexes me, DC.

      phantom, and a dream/

      (From the Diamond Sutra)

    • mattroke
      Message 111 of 111 , Nov 30, 2007
        Dear Alex,

        Sorry about the delay getting back to you.

        ALEX: Well if he had such extraordinary high accumulations from his
        past lives - why did he in this life commited such horrible deeds?
        And not once or twice, but 999 times?

        MATT: That's the nature of samsara. Even though we may accumulate a
        great deal of wisdom there is no guarantee that in future lives we
        won't be born into a time and place where conditions take us down a
        very unwholesome path.

        ALEX: The murders he did was simply due to conditions? Or was it a
        volitional choice.

        MATT: Some would say that it was a volitional choice, but I believe
        that it is due to conditions. Some people are born into societies
        that think it is acceptable to kill a family member if they bring
        shame on the family, and if we were born into such a culture we would
        more than likely share that view. Others live in an environment that
        influences a person to do unwholesome deeds and if that was our
        destiny we may do the same too. We can't choose our next life, so we
        don't know what conditions will be encountered or what influence
        those conditions will have on us.

        ALEX: Or maybe it is because we are doing something wrong.

        MATT: If we are not enlightened then we are doing something wrong.

        I think it requires much more than just some type of practice or
        doing wholesome actions. The Buddha at first hesitated to teach
        because he appreciated how profound and difficult it would be to
        understand the Dhamma. What the Buddha taught has to be investigated
        for its truthfulness, so that wisdom will develop and there is clear
        comprehension of the true nature of dhammas; which is very different
        to how we observe things now.

        Matt