Re: [dsg] Anatta of "Self" and the World

  • DC Wijeratna
    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 1, 2007
      Dear Alex,

      Many thanks for the explanation. I am much obliged.

      Lots of mettaa.

      D. G. D. C. Wijeratna

    • Charles DaCosta
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 23, 2007
        Dear Alex

        If you mean "Intellect" or "mental formations," then you are right with
        respect to some schools of Buddhism. To others, "Intellect" or '"mental
        formations," are more like heaps or collections, and the "personality
        aggregate" is more like a specialization - your "unique motivations" - not
        the whole of "intellect." It can be argued that the personality aggregate
        is more like how and why you become attached to things; why you are driven
        to concoct curtain mental formations and not others; why you find pleasure
        in pain (if you are masochistic), and pain in pleasure if you are a sadist.

        You ask: "How can a "Knower" be unknowing?" Knowers don't know all. They
        are not infinite in knowing. Isn't there a knower in you? And if so, how
        come your knower does not know every thing? There are microscopic beings
        all over your skin, yet you are unaware of them. Here we have a knower
        without knowing.

        Furthermore it is the normal every day self that depends on its aggregates,
        what ever the number.

        I agree knowledge of absence of knowing is different than having no
        knowledge. And that when you pass out, totally unconscious, you don't see
        black space.
        You don't see anything.

        You should read one of the Lion's Roar Suttras. They are attacks against
        "false" accusations, totally unphilosophical, more about not being the kind
        of person that would . (e.g., immorality). They talk nothing about the 4
        frames of references, 5 aggregates, 6 sense spheres...
        That is why I said the Lion's Roar Suttras presented plenty ego-based
        self-personality references.

        The way you presented the "stream" of Buddhas is the same way some Hindus
        define the essence of a group of beings.

        Charles DaCosta

        _____