Re: [dsg] Virtue & Demerit

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
      Dear Sarah and Nina

      Thank you for consulting your texts for me.

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, sarah abbott
      <sarahprocterabbott@...> wrote:

      >> S: Now the key Pali terms are, I believe, 'siilabbata.m jiivita.m
      > brahmacariya.m upa.t.thaanasaara.m'.
      >
      > If instead of 'practising the virtues...'/'all the
      virtues...'/'moral
      > practice... ', we were to substitute the meanings which seem
      correct and
      > more obvious to me(Buddhadatta's dictionary), we get:
      >
      > siilabbata - ceremonial observances
      > jiivita - life
      > brahmacariya - chaste life (holy life)
      > upa.t.thaana - waiting on, looking after, service
      >
      > Could we say something more like 'will every sort of observance in
      a holy
      > lifetstyle bring good fruit?
      >
      > Pali experts can do better of course, but my point is that it is
      > 'siilabbata' rather than just siila that is used in the text.
      Remember
      > that it is the same siilabbata which is used in 'siilabbata
      paraamaasa'
      > (attachment to rites and rituals), a kind of wrong view and practice
      > eradicated by the sotapanna.

      Andrew: A vivid example of the unlikelihood of being able to read a
      translated sutta and correctly discern its meaning without further
      reference or study. One can go "off the rails" very badly! The
      Sangha who composed, memorised and recorded the commentaries clearly
      knew this and have left a wonderful treasure.

      Thanks again and best wishes
      Andrew

      PS "Bula, bula" to Jon in Fiji!
      Message 2 of 15 , Sep 1, 2007
        Dear Andrew,
        Op 1-sep-2007, om 9:47 heeft Andrew het volgende geschreven:

        > Andrew: A vivid example of the unlikelihood of being able to read a
        > translated sutta and correctly discern its meaning without further
        > reference or study. One can go "off the rails" very badly! The
        > Sangha who composed, memorised and recorded the commentaries clearly
        > knew this and have left a wonderful treasure.
        ------
        N: More and more I come to this conclusion. We at the present time
        are lost without the commentaries. I appreciate your answer,

        Message 3 of 15 , Sep 3, 2007
          Andrew (and All)

          > PS "Bula, bula" to Jon in Fiji!

          Bula!

          Fiji is a lovely place, as you probably know, not least because the
          people are so nice. I am in Suva, not the most fetching part of the
          islands, yet there is still a wonderfully friendly, laid back
          atmosphere.

          My days are quite long (8 am to 6 pm, with an hour for lunch) and I'm
          working 6 days a week, but the work is interesting (drafting of
          urgently needed legilsation).

          Keeping up with the list is not easy, as some of our more frequent
          posters seem to manage with little or no sleep!!

          Apologies in advance to all for falling behind with replies.

          Vinaka

          Jon

          PS
          > Andrew: A vivid example of the unlikelihood of being able to read a
          > translated sutta and correctly discern its meaning without further
          > reference or study. One can go "off the rails" very badly! The
          > Sangha who composed, memorised and recorded the commentaries
          clearly
          > knew this and have left a wonderful treasure.

          I agree with all this. (Well done Sarah!)
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 3, 2007
            Dear Jon,
            Lodewijk says that this is an excellent way of kusala. Helping with
            institution building that is so important.
            Nina.
            Op 3-sep-2007, om 10:27 heeft jonoabb het volgende geschreven: