Update: We are diseased!

  • buddhatrue
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2007
      Hi All,

      I want to relate a funny story because it is related to the Dhamma.
      My boyfriend and I have been fighting like cats and dogs! About what,
      you ask? Vitamins. Yes, hard to believe but we have been fighting
      about vitamins. You see, I have hypoglycemia and my boyfriend has
      gout- both diseases which are genetic in origin but are controlled by
      nutrition. I won't go into all of the details but just to summarize:
      hypoglycemia is caused by too much insulin in the blood and gout is
      caused by too much uric acid in the blood. They are both nutritional
      disorders.

      The way I have chosen to handle my hypoglycemia is to take the proper
      nutritional supplements everyday: Vitamin C, B-Complex, Niacin,
      Chromium P, L-Glutamine, and CoQ10. I take practically a handful of
      vitamins every morning, afternoon, and early evening. If I didn't, my
      blood sugar would go up and down drastically- and affect my mood. The
      only recourse, other than vitamins, would be to drink large amounts of
      alcohol on a fairly regular basis (everyday)- as alcohol dominates
      everything and becomes an energy/food source. Since I have given up
      alcohol to that extent, vitamins are my medicine of choice for my
      hypoglycemia.

      Sebastian, on the other hand, doesn't believe in taking vitamins. He
      thinks that he should eat what he wants and drink what he wants- until
      his gout flairs up. Then, there is some western medicine he can take
      to try and cure the incident of gout (swollen ankles and joints
      painful to the touch and movement). He is on a teeter-tooter everyday
      as he is either: well, inflicted, or recuperating from gout.

      Since we are about to leave for America, and he may not have access to
      his "gout medication" when he needs it (in America), I suggested to
      him that he try a nutritional approach. I told him the type of diet
      he needs to have and the nutritional supplements he should take
      everyday (Bilberry being the most important). Oh goodness, it was
      World War III! "I can't take that stuff everyday, no one else does!"
      "That stuff costs more money than my medicine" "You are just addicted
      to vitamins." Etc., etc., etc.,

      It just went on for a while until I said I would buy the vitamins he
      needs to take and if they don't work he can go back to his western
      medication. The problem is that he knows he has a disease; he knows
      that he has to do something about it; but he doesn't want to be
      different from everyone else. He doesn't want to be strange or
      unusual. In essence, he doesn't want to admit that he has a disease.

      Okay, here is the lesson of this story (for those who don't get it yet
      ;-)): this incident reminded me of the Buddha's teaching because he
      taught that we are all suffering from a disease. The disease that we
      are all suffering from is: greed, hatred, and delusion. It is a
      mental disease. The Buddha provided the cure for this disease, but in
      order to evoke this cure you can't be like everyone else. If you have
      gout, how can you eat a steak dinner with all your friends and hope to
      be cured? If you have hypoglycemia, how can you pig out at Baskin
      Robbins Ice Cream and hope to be cured? You can't! You have to make
      some changes!

      Thankfully, Sebastian took my advice and he is taking Bilberry
      everyday- as a start. I hope to get him taking B-Complex and Vitamin
      C- and change his diet- as time progresses. But, it isn't easy to
      change bad habits, and I understand this. You have to either really
      want a cure or have someone else there to point you in right
      direction. That is why the Buddha said good friends are the entirety
      of the Dhamma. They force you in the right direction when you don't
      know any better for yourself.

      I have read a on DSG lately (in-between traveling), and I read a post
      on the thread on "Serious about one's defilements." Again, it is the
      same old debate. Some recognize that they have a "dukkha" disease but
      they don't really want to do anything about it- they just feel
      comfortable studying about it and hope that is enough to make it go
      away. Others recognize they have a dukkha disease of the mind and
      they are ready to do something about it!! Not only that, they fell
      compelled to help others do something about it also ( out of
      compassion). And so it goes round and round.

      Just have some consideration for each other; that is all I can say in
      summary. I had to learn that with Sebastian. You shouldn't judge-
      just have compassion. I must go now. I can't respond to any
      strike me; I will post again.

      Metta,
      James