Re: [DhammaStudyGroup] Samatha-Sutta

  • Jonothan Abbott
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2000
      >We have another great article for you in the advanced section at
      ><http://www.DhammaStudy.com>, a translation of an excerpt from the
      >discussion session at Khunying Noparat's on July 1st on the
      >Samatha-Sutta. I think it will be a wonderful reminder for
      >everyone, not only for those who were there and the translators!

      Amara,
      Many thanks for this article, which I am now reading.
      In it there is a reference to a sutta which uses the analogy of looking into
      a mirror. Can anyone explain this sutta or give a reference to it? Thanks.

      >I would like to add that all the trnscript of the tapes from which
      >we took the articles by Khun Sujin were made by an amazing lady of
      >over 80 who has been doing this for over thirty years, Khun Sanguan
      >Sucharitkul (also a former ladies' tennis champion of Thailand) and
      >who has always kindly helped us get the latest material available
      >for the website. I think if there were a championship for
      >transcriptions she would also win rackets down, she works so fast!!!

      You mention in a subsequent posting that this lady has suffered a stroke. I
      do hope she makes a speedy and complete recovery. We certainly appreciate
      her kusala endeavours (with the assistance of your translation).

      JOnothan

      http://profiles.msn.com
    • amara chay
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2000
        > In it there is a reference to a sutta which uses the analogy of
        looking into
        > a mirror. Can anyone explain this sutta or give a reference to it?

        Jonothan,

        By now you must have seen that over half of the article does just
        that: it explains the sutta, ending with a line by line examination
        of the text. What excited me when I first heard it (I happened to
        be there when she gave that talk because she had told me to take
        Betty, who got lost on her first attempt to get to Khunying's house)
        was that we do it everyday, don't we all, look into the mirror. And
        always we saw us in there, but after this when we do we might begin
        to have other thoughts that are more kusala. That is why it was
        meant as a special gift for all dhamma friends who read Khun Sujin's
        words, even transcribed and translated(sorry if the translation is
        not as good as it should be but I think I did the best I could).
        When I first heard the sutta, I thought as one of her interlocutors
        remarked, what vanity! What does it have to do with the bhikkhu and
        even other Buddhists? But it was a wonderful reminder it turned out
        to be, and a great revelation for me. Do tell me what you think
        when you have finished it!

        > You mention in a subsequent posting that this lady has suffered a
        stroke. I
        > do hope she makes a speedy and complete recovery. We certainly
        appreciate
        > her kusala endeavours (with the assistance of your translation).

        Will tell her, thanks, Jonothan. She had completely recovered her
        speech, which was very much in evidence when we visited her with
        Khun Sujin her sister, Betty, Shin, Nong Lan and three other dhamma
        friends (poor Robert had to take his tired kids home otherwise he
        would have enjoyed it. Also the hospital is certainly not a good
        place for his beautiful healthy children), when Nong Lan remarked
        that we talked about the dhamma just as others would talk about a
        favorite soap opera! She also had recovered the use of her hand,
        which greatly delighted me (yes, lobha!!!) but the thing is that her
        blood pressure was still quite high and the doctors refused to let
        her go home. In fact they do not exclude an emergency surgery. But
        with all the kusala vipaka of thirty years transcribing the tapes,
        for anyone to borrow, we may hope that she will not need any
        unpleasant procedures and return home soon, so we may have some more
        recent as well as excellent dhamma from Khun Sujin. Our kusala
        vipaka may also depend on her maha kusala hand and I think she
        enjoyed the fact that we looked forward to and appreciated her work!

        Amara