Negative hetu

  • amara chay
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2000
      Dear Group,

      I have been trying to wrap my mind around a point about the hetu for
      quite a while now and today as I was trying to explain it to someone,
      (put it in your own words, as Betty tells her students!) the puzzle
      finally fell into its place, so I would like to see what you make of
      this. (Robert, please correct me if I make any mistakes!) Here

      As we all know, dhamma is divided into two realities, namadhamma,
      the realities that know or experience, and rupadhamma, the realities
      that do not. The namadhamma consist of three of the four
      paramatthadhamma, namely citta, cetasika and nibbana. The citta nad
      cetasika always arise together, the former being the priciple
      element of knowing, to the tiniest detail, whatever appears through
      the six dvara. The latter do all the other functions of
      experiencing; a certain cetasika remembers, feels, intends, likes,
      or dislikes, understands realities (panna) depending on the kind of
      cetasika it is. Some cetasika arise with all citta, while others
      cannot arise together because their natures are opposites. The six
      cetasikas that are hetu are three pairs of oppositions, lobha, dosa
      and moha; opposed to alobha, adosa and amoha (or panna). There are
      four jati or nature of citta, kusala, akusala, vipaka and kiriya,
      and the hetu can accompany all of them, except kiriya citta. The
      first vipaka in life is of course the first citta in a lifetime, the

      Now comes the part that had always been a problem for me, since
      there is only mention of the hetu as possitive hetu when it
      accompanies the patisandhi, for example to be born human one has to
      have at least one hetu, even then one might be a handicap of some
      sort. Normal people would have at least two hetu, and those who
      could understand the dhamma, if they studied, would have three.
      Probably that is why they do not mention the akusala hetu because a
      human would not have akusala patisandhi citta anyway, and the Buddha
      usually does not elaborate much on things we could never know, even
      the kusala citta of the higher-than-deva brahma worlds would
      sometimes be lumped together as only a few in number which when
      elaborated reaches ten or twenty something. Varee thinks that he
      tends to speak even less of the lower planes, which might discourage
      people even more. Khun Sujin teaches that the negative hetu are
      superflous and as vipaka they did not need to be present, in any
      case they are not mentioned and in the end they do not concern

      That is the most important part, after all. But I tend to see it
      the way Varee does that they may be possible in the lower worlds,
      but since it does not concern humans, we are taught of only the
      three that concern us directly and how they opperate. Which makes
      some of us able to study the dhamma, and explains why people are
      born different since the same patisandhi vipaka citta would be the
      beginning of the very same kind of bhavanga citta that continues to
      arise and fall away in succession throughout a person's life. And
      the abhidhamma is already more than complicated enough without
      unneccessary details that would be useless to know. Does this make
      any sense to you, Betty?

      A little announcement, at <http://www.DhammaStudy.com> we have been
      trying to get on another list headed Buddhism in the search
      engines since for many people the word dhamma is spelled dharma and
      many people might be missing us just because we are listed under
      dhamma. We were trying to find a name which begins with the word
      Buddhism and Khun Sujin thought of 'Buddhism Today' which we thought
      was absolutely perfect. So we will try to get that and link the
      domain name to the present site, which is growing pretty fast and if
      we included some picture galleries for example of India and such, as
      well as sound there might be need for more space anyway and even if
      we did not need more space immediately the name alone might help
      more people find us. Nong Lan is working on that, thanks Nong Lan!