Re: [dsg] Daana Corner (25)

  • han tun
    Message 1 of 236 , Mar 23, 2007
      Dear Nina, Sarah and others,

      Lily de Silva gave a lot of sutta references when she
      wrote ‘The Value of Giving’ [Daana Corner (25)].
      Although ‘The Value of Giving’ is not finished yet, do
      you have any comments on the text so far finished? Or,
      would you rather wait till it is finished completely?

      Respectfully,
      Han
      =============

      > The Value of Giving
      >
      > Many suttas enumerate the various benefits of
      giving. Giving promotes social cohesion and
      solidarity. It is the best means of bridging the
      psychological gap, much more than the material
      economic gap, that exists between haves and have-nots.
      The Magha Sutta maintains that hates gets eliminated
      when one is established in generosity (Sn. 506). The
      one with a generous heart earns the love of others and
      many associate with him (A.iii,40). Giving also
      cements friendships (Sn. 187).

      > It is maintained that if a person makes an
      aspiration to be born in a particular place after
      giving alms, the aspiration will be fulfilled only if
      he is virtuous, but not otherwise (A.iv,239).
      According to one sutta (A.iv,241-43), if one practices
      giving and morality to a very limited degree and has
      no idea about meditation, one obtains an unfortunate
      birth in the human world. One who performs meritorious
      deeds such as giving and morality to a considerable
      degree, but does not understand anything about
      meditation, meets a fortunate human birth. But those
      who practice
      giving and morality to a great extent without any
      knowledge of meditation find rebirth in one of the
      heavens. They excel other deities in the length of
      life, beauty, pleasure, fame and the five strands of
      sense pleasure.

      > The Anguttara Nikaya (A.iv,79) enumerates a number
      of this-worldly benefits of giving. The generous
      person, and not the miser, wins the sympathy of
      others. arahants approach him, accept alms and preach
      to him first. A good reputation spreads about him. He
      can attend any assembly with confidence and dignity.
      He is reborn in a state of happiness after death.
      Another sutta (A.iii,41) adds that a generous person
      wins popularity; people of noble character associate
      with him and he has the satisfaction of having
      fulfilled a layperson's duties (gihidhamma anapeto
      hoti).

      > It is said that an almsgiver bestows on others life,
      beauty, happiness, strength and intelligence. Having
      bestowed them on others, he becomes a beneficiary of
      them himself (A.iii,42). The same idea is expressed
      by the succinct statement that one reaps what one sows
      (yadisam vapate bijam tadisam harate phalam, S.i,227).

      Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.
    • DC Wijeratna
      Message 236 of 236 , Nov 14, 2007
        Hi Phil

        It is BPS publication. I think the whole thing can be downloaded from Access to Insight.

        Best regards,

        D. G. D. C. Wijeratna