forwarded message

  • amara chay
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2000
      Dear friends in the dhamma,

      I would like to share some news from the Venerable Heng Shun, whom I
      hope we will soon be hearing from again on the list postings. Here
      is an excerpt of his note:

      Amara,
      Thanks for your note. I'm still at Harvard, but will be finishing
      the program very soon. Your note to Zhao Ging-Guo was very good. I
      do look forward to seeing the published version of your translation
      of Khun Sujin's magnu opus on Paramattha Dhammas. (...)
      Our teacher, Professor Diana Eck, is kind of the Diane Sawyer of
      world religions here in America- all of us high school teachers of
      world religions have learned quite a lot. We've also seen much of
      Boston in our dozen plus field trips to religious centers in the
      area, including a Hindu Temple built from the ground up and a
      mosque- both of these were created by immigrant communities from
      South Asia. I was also able to pay my respects to MahaGoshananda at
      his Cambodian temple (identical to the Wats in Thailand) built in
      the countryside 2 hours drive west of Boston in the forest. America's
      religious landscape is changing quite dramatically. (...)
      Sincerely, in Dharma,
      Heng Shun

      From: "amara chay" <joychay@...>
      To: hengshun@...
      CC: robertkirkpatrick@...
      Subject: <http://www.DhammaStudy.com> guestbook entry
      Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2000 14:46:38 GMT

      Venerable sir,

      I just wanted to share with you our first guest book entry from
      China! And also the fact that <http://www.copernic.com/> placed us
      fourth in the top score list (although I wonder how the scoring
      works and the total number of websites in the list searching the
      word 'dhamma'). I just checked this afternoon- before when you
      first told me about this search engine we were in the top half of
      the list only!

      By the way my mother has pledged 100,000 bhts. (which is hardly
      as much as it looks!) towards the printing of the English 'Summary',
      which should be ready early next year- I remember your asking about
      it on the list. (...)

      How was your stay at Harvard? The intensive course must be very
      interesting indeed. (...)

      I look forward to hearing from you soon, especially on the list,

      Amara