Gaps: Unecessary but Interesting

  • Andrew
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hello Howard & Sarah

      Reading this post has just prompted my memory about something. I
      don't think it's too far off-topic here, so I will interject with it,
      if I may. I mentioned in another thread that I am ploughing through
      a book on Abhidhamma by a Sri Lankan doctor, Jaya... [help, the book
      is not to hand and I can't spell his name from memory!] In one part,
      he made a throwaway comment that made me ponder. The throwaway was
      essentially this - that the anatta doctrine only makes sense in
      combination with a 'momentary citta' theory. He didn't develop the
      argument (at least, not so far - I'm still reading) but I assume he
      is thinking that non-momentary citta is de facto atta. Have you
      heard this argument before? What do you think of it?

      Best wishes
      Andrew