Gaps: Unecessary but Interesting (Re: [dsg] Re: Some Idle Thoughts on Nothing)

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2007
      Hi, Sarah (and James) -

      In a message dated 1/31/07 1:50:46 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      sarahprocterabbott@... writes:

      > Hi James (& Howard),
      >
      > --- buddhatrue <buddhatrue@...> wrote:
      > >The citta theory, however, does hold some problems for me because of
      > >the zero duration of the cittas and the `unaccounted for' gap between
      > >them which must exist for them to be separate.
      > S: Why must there be any gap?

      =========================
      What I can tell you from the mathematical perspective, Sarah, is this:
      1) If the "time line" is one with a topology different from the ususal one,
      which IS possible, there would be no necessity for a gap, but 2) with the usual
      line, the so called real line, and based on the commentarial presumption of a
      mindstate not being a single-point event but occuring during a (brief)
      interval having three stages, of arising, stasis, and decline, gaps would be
      required - but such a gap needn't be anything more than a single, timeless,
      zero-dimensional (and zero-durational) point that would go fully unnoticed except by a
      highly advanced ariyan. It might be what some with a mystical bent would call
      a "moment in infinity". It is questionable, of course, whether such a
      point-moment is to be considered a "gap".
      The possible existence of such "gaps" has some interest, it seems to
      me, in that such a "gap" might serve as "portal" for realization (a path
      moment), if "walked through". (This business is just idle speculation, of course,
      without either experiential or textual basis.)

      phantom, and a dream./            (From the Diamond Sutra)

    • Andrew
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 31, 2007
        Hello Howard & Sarah

        Reading this post has just prompted my memory about something. I
        don't think it's too far off-topic here, so I will interject with it,
        if I may. I mentioned in another thread that I am ploughing through
        a book on Abhidhamma by a Sri Lankan doctor, Jaya... [help, the book
        is not to hand and I can't spell his name from memory!] In one part,
        he made a throwaway comment that made me ponder. The throwaway was
        essentially this - that the anatta doctrine only makes sense in
        combination with a 'momentary citta' theory. He didn't develop the
        argument (at least, not so far - I'm still reading) but I assume he
        is thinking that non-momentary citta is de facto atta. Have you
        heard this argument before? What do you think of it?

        Best wishes
        Andrew