Alcohol?

  • connie
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 1, 2006
      too drunk too rmembr,

      here's our fifth, to be 'shared equally between lay followers and novices
      as invariable virtuous practices':

      <<
      I undertake the training precept of abstention from any opportunity for
      negligence due to liquor, wine, and besotting drink.
      Suraamerayamajjappamaada.t.thaanaa verama.nii-sikkhaapada'm samaadiyaamai.

      this is an abstention < 'from what is looked on askance (blamable) by
      nature' since killing breathing things, etc., are always originated by
      unprofitable cognizance >

      it might still be argued that it's alright to inhale but not swallow:

      Illustrator: << Any opportunity for negligence due to liquor, wine and
      besotting drink: here as to 'liquor', there are five kinds of liquor:
      flour liquor, cake liquor, rice liquor, that containing yeast, and that
      mixed with condiments. Also, 'wine' is of five kinds: flower wine, fruit
      wine, sugar wine, honey wine, and that mixed with condiments (Vin.iv,110).
      Both these are 'besotting' (majja) in the sense of causing intoxication
      (madaniiya); or alternatively, whatever else there is that causes
      intoxication, by drinking which one becomes mad (matta) and negligent
      (pamatta) is called 'besotting'. The 'opportunity for negligence'
      (pamaada.t.thaana) is the choice by which one drinks, swallows. That is so
      called since it is the cause for the [subsequent] vanity (madness) and
      negligence (mada-ppamaada); consequently, what should be understood as the
      'opportunity for negligence' is the choice in swallowing the liquor, wine
      or besotting drink, as intent to swallow, which occurs in the body door >>.

      still, whether it's excess to moderation or some other style, there's no
      dwelling in the middle; once it's in your nose, it's moving on.
      sugarandspice, gingerbreadman. be as stupid as you like. don't seek
      approval or support for it, just believe in reckless ruin, intoxicantly
      driven.

      if there be purity in alcohol, show me your proof:

      "Bhikkhus, there are these four stains because of which the sun and moon
      do not glow, do not shine, are not radiant. What four? Rain clouds... snow
      clouds... smoke and dust... an eclipse. In the same way, there are these
      four stains because of which contemplatives and priests do not glow, do
      not shine, are not radiant. What four? Drinking alcoholic beverages...
      indulging in sexual intercourse... accepting gold and silver... obtaining
      requisites through a wrong mode of livelihood." (A.IV.50)

      just hospital grade white lightning desire, man, cheers,
      connie
    • connie
      Message 2 of 9 , Nov 4, 2006
        Hey, Support Group

        sorry if i'm requoting, but for the case of the fifth precept, if we
        aren't willing to swallow one thing, then, when conditions are right:

        << The fruits of abstention from the
        opportunity-for-negligence-due-to-liquor-wine-and-besotting-drink are such
        things as swift recognition of past, future and present tasks to be done,
        constant establishment of mindfulness, freedom from madness, possession of
        knowledge, non-procrastination, non-stupidity, non-drivellingness,
        non-intoxication, non-negligence, non-confusion, non-timourousness,
        non-presumption, unenviousness, truthfulness, freedom from malicious and
        harsh speech and from gossip, freedom from dullness both night and day,
        gratitude, gratefulness, unavariciousness, liberality, virtuousness,
        rectitude, unangriness, possession of conscience, possession of shame,
        rectitude of view, great understanding, wisdom, learnedness, skill in
        [distinguishing] good from harm, and so on. >> Illustrator ii 46

        peace,
        connie