Re: [dsg] Right On !!!

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
      Dear Ven Samahita,

      I've been following your series on Satipatthanasamyutta.

      --- Bhikkhu Samahita <bhikkhu.samahita@...> wrote:

      > Friends:
      > Are you Fully Aware and Clearly Comprehending ?
      >
      > The Blessed Buddha once said:
      > Bhikkhus, a Bhikkhu should dwell fully aware and clearly comprehending.
      > This is our instruction to you. And how is a Bhikkhu fully aware?
      > When a Bhikkhu continuously contemplates:
      >
      > 1: The Body as an Accumulation...
      > 2: The Feeling as a Sensation...
      > 3: The Mind as a Mood...
      > 4: The Phenomenon as a Mental State..
      S: Do you see these as referring to dhammas as objects of clear
      comprehension (sati-sampajanna)? If so, what dhammas do you see them as
      referring to? Would you also mind clarifying what you mean above by the
      terms.

      > while always acutely alert & clearly comprehending, he thereby removes
      > any urge, envy, jealousy, frustration & discontent rooted in this
      > world...
      <...>
      S: What would you say actually removes the 'urge, envy etc' in this world?
      > Source of reference (edited extract):
      > The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya.
      > Book [V: 180-1] 47 The Foundations of Awareness: 35 Aware..
      S: Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

      =======
    • Bhikkhu samahita
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 2, 2006
        Sarah asked:

        > 1: The Body as an Accumulation...
        > 2: The Feeling as a Sensation...
        > 3: The Mind as a Mood...
        > 4: The Phenomenon as a Mental State..

        S:
        >>1: Do you see these as referring to dhammas as objects of clear
        comprehension (sati-sampajanna)?
        A1: yes indeed

        >2:If so, what dhammas do you see them as referring to?
        >2:Would you also mind clarifying what you mean above by the terms.
        1 is referring to all form as something heaped together.
        2 is referring to all feeling as something created by contact.
        3 is referring to all mentality as something conditioned by circumstances.
        4 is referring to all phenomena as something partly created by mind.

        When seeing that one understands that they all must pass away
        as they are emerged in dependence on something transient...

        When seeing that one looses gradually lust for these vanishing objects.
        Why so? They cannot ever be kept and spontaneously decays & is lost...
        This is what is means by:
        "he thereby removes any urge, envy, jealousy, frustration & discontent"

        --

        vandana

        Friendship is the Greatest...
        Bhikkhu Samahita
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 12, 2006
          Dear Ven Samahita,

          --- Bhikkhu samahita <bhikkhu.samahita@...> wrote:

          > Sarah asked:
          >
          > > 1: The Body as an Accumulation...
          > > 2: The Feeling as a Sensation...
          > > 3: The Mind as a Mood...
          > > 4: The Phenomenon as a Mental State..
          >
          > S:
          > >>1: Do you see these as referring to dhammas as objects of clear
          > comprehension (sati-sampajanna)?
          > A1: yes indeed
          >
          > >2:If so, what dhammas do you see them as referring to?
          > >2:Would you also mind clarifying what you mean above by the terms.
          > 1 is referring to all form as something heaped together.
          > 2 is referring to all feeling as something created by contact.
          > 3 is referring to all mentality as something conditioned by
          > circumstances.
          > 4 is referring to all phenomena as something partly created by mind.
          S: Would you agree that in the text you quoted (SN 47:35):

          1) refers to kaayaanupassanaa - the awareness and understanding of the
          rupas making up the body

          2) refers to vedaanupassanaa - the awareness and understanding of feelings

          3) refers to cittaanupassanaa - the awareness and understanding of cittas
          (consciousness)

          4) refers to dhammanupassana - the awareness and understanding of any
          dhammas (realities, not concepts)

          > When seeing that one understands that they all must pass away
          > as they are emerged in dependence on something transient...
          S: Would you agree that the passing away refers only to paramattha
          dhammas, not to 'phenomena partly created by the mind'?

          > When seeing that one looses gradually lust for these vanishing objects.
          > Why so? They cannot ever be kept and spontaneously decays & is lost...
          > This is what is means by:
          > "he thereby removes any urge, envy, jealousy, frustration & discontent"
          S: Would you agree that it is by the development of satipatthana alone -
          the development of the eightfold path that all such kilesa are eradicated
          without the involvement of any self at all?

          ======