Re: [dsg] Re: Existence

    Message 1 of 43 , Sep 30, 2006
      Hi Matheesha (& Han),

      --- matheesha <dhammachat@...> wrote:

      > AN 10.6
      > Samadhi Sutta
      > Concentration
      > Translated from the Pali by
      > Thanissaro Bhikkhu PTS: A v 7
      <...>
      > See also: AN 9.36; AN 10.7.
      > -----------
      > Revised: Sunday 2006-06-18
      > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/an/an10/an10.006.than.html
      S: I think you've quoted from the Samadhi Sutta before. I wondered this
      time whether there was a point you were emphasising?

      Btw, did you see Han's post (which I thought was very good) on the same
      sutta?

      Do you agree with his conclusions and comments out of interest?

      ========
      Message 43 of 43 , Oct 24, 2006
        Hi Daniel,

        --- Daniel <daniell@...> wrote:

        > Sarah:
        > > When the Buddha taught about the 6 worlds, it was with regard to what
        > > could be directly experienced. As Howard always stresses, any existing
        > > dhamma outside these worlds is completely unknown and for all intents
        > and
        > > purposes doesn not exist at all for us.
        >

        > But you just wrote an email about what lies outside the 6 worlds, didn't
        > you?
        > And I just wrote a sentence about it. And while you wrote about that
        > email , you
        > also thought about what is outside of the six worlds, did not you... So
        > perhaps
        > it does exist in some manner... No?
        S: Good points! At such a time, only the thinking about it exists. What is
        thought about are only ideas that can never be known. The thinking itself
        can be directly experienced. If there's no thinking about 'the world out
        there', then where is it? Gone.

        > What is the definition for "the sixth
        > consciousness\the sixth sense"? What is the sutras definition, and what
        > definition would you give it yourself, to the specific way in which you
        > use it?
        > If I want to check if a certain phenomena is
        > cognized with my sixth consciousness, or not, what check can I perform?
        S: The sixth sense refers to moments of consciousness which arise through
        the 'mind-door' as opposed to those experienced through the eye-door etc.

        For example, now when there's thinking about the words in front of us,
        it's different from when there is just the seeing of the visible object.
        The seeing experiences the visible object through the eye-door and
        dependent on the eye-sense. The thinking about the ideas is not dependent
        on the eye-sense and can occur with our eyes closed for that matter. It is
        the 'mind-door' experiencing, the 6th group of consciousness.

        Let's keep this discussion going as these are important points to consider
        further. Apologies for this delay.

        Btw, pls remind me - did you say you lived in Australia? If so, where? I'm
        very glad to see your continued participation and great questions.

        p.s All, pls could everyone be sure to make clear whom they are addressing
        and to sign off to avoid any confusion. TIA!