village monk 2

  • Leo
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2006
      Hi
      I think I've seen something like that:
      "Wherever the Arhats dwells in a village or in a forest, in a valley
      or on a hill, that spot is a place of delight and happy."

      I am still looking for other similar padas.
      At the same time I was thinking: Now, if it belongs to Worthy, then
      Village Way is worthy. Why not to have Village monk as Category?
      Or why not to have Hill Monk as Category. I really see advantage in
      that. For instance, if I am a Hill Monk, than people think it is good
      way, so in case of Tsunami, it would not be so many death, because
      many would follow hill monks and stay mostly there. So I would be a
      right guide. Or if I am Village monk, it can be a good guide for city
      monk who tired of all that and go back to lay life, but here I am a
      Village monk, suggesting a better way of Village and forest next to it.

      With Metta
      Leo
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2006
        Hi Leo,
        I think that not the place itself is praised, but the person who has
        eradicated all defilements. The purity is not in the place but in the
        citta of that person.
        Nina.
        Op 1-sep-2006, om 7:49 heeft Leo het volgende geschreven:

        > "Wherever the Arhats dwells in a village or in a forest, in a valley
        > or on a hill, that spot is a place of delight and happy."

      • buddhatrue
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 2, 2006
          Hi Nina,

          --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom <vangorko@...>
          wrote:

          > Hi Leo,
          > I think that not the place itself is praised, but the person who has
          > eradicated all defilements. The purity is not in the place but in
          the
          > citta of that person.
          > Nina.

          Actually, I think it could be both. The Buddha, before passing into
          paranibbana, said that there were four 'places' worthy of visiting (for
          the faithful): his birthplace, where he achieved enlightenment, where
          he taught his first disciples, and where he died. If there was nothing
          significant about the 'place', I don't think the Buddha would have
          taught this.

          BTW, haven't you visited all of these places? Why would you do that if
          you didn't think it was significant?

          Metta,
          James
          ps. Not an important point really, but I wanted to point out that there
          are elements of faith and mysticism to Buddhism which are often
          overlooked.
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
            Hi James,
            the blue kasina, how inventive to make it in the modern way. When you
            give instructions to others, it is good to mention not to make the
            colour appealing. As you also know the Visuddhimagga warns that there
            may be attachment to the colour, whereas the aim is detachment from
            sense objects.
            I am glad you brought up the holy places. see below.
            Op 3-sep-2006, om 4:09 heeft buddhatrue het volgende geschreven:

            > Actually, I think it could be both. The Buddha, before passing into
            > paranibbana, said that there were four 'places' worthy of visiting
            > (for
            > the faithful): his birthplace, where he achieved enlightenment, where
            > he taught his first disciples, and where he died. If there was nothing
            > significant about the 'place', I don't think the Buddha would have
            > taught this.
            -------
            N:I think as to the place in the foirest where the arahat stayed,
            this might be a way of praising the virtues of the arahat.
            As to the holy places, these remind us of the virtues of the Buddha.
            They are vivid reminders because he stayed at those very places. It
            is a way of paying respect to the Buddha to go to these places.
            ---------

            > J: BTW, haven't you visited all of these places? Why would you do
            > that if
            > you didn't think it was significant?
            >
            > ps. Not an important point really, but I wanted to point out that
            > there
            > are elements of faith and mysticism to Buddhism which are often
            > overlooked.
            -------
            N: I have visited them many, many times and I will go again next year.
            As to faith and mysticism, difficult areas to know, because here
            clinging can come in and play us tricks. Faith or confidence is so
            close to attachment, I find for myself.
            For instance, if I think: I am so impressed, this is a wonderful
            experience, I understand better now that attachment is always, always
            around the corner.

            I can only speak with regard to myself, not about others. What do I
            know about other people's jhaana or clinging to jhaana.
            I mostly know events in retrospect, not at the very moment so much.
            That is why I appreciate Kh. Sujin's constant reminders she gives us
            at the holy places: the greatest respect to the Buddha is awareness
            and understanding of this moment. That is much clearer than knowing
            things in retrospect and understanding can begin for sure.
            The Buddha's relics are placed on our heads in Sarnath and last time
            Lodewijk and I were allowed to go to the place where they are kept in
            a deep cellar and help carrying them to the front. I realised more
            than before that we can overlook the countless moments of attachment.
            And also aversion, things happened so that this did not go so
            smoothly, someone speaking loudly. Aversion is conditioned by
            attachment.
            The different cittas go so fast, so fast. I see more that it can only
            be kusala citta with understanding that understands different
            moments. There are so many akusala cittas compared to rare moments of
            kusala, and even rarer are kusala cittas with pa~n~naa. This is not
            discouraging, what matters is, understanding both akusala cittas and
            kusala cittas.
            ---------

            J: The Vism. states that
            Buddhas, Paccheka Buddhas, and Buddha's sons are 'at home' in
            anapanasati,
            -------
            N: Here we cannot avoid the Pali: manasikaarabhuumibhuuta.m, what has
            become a foundation for (right) attention. They are well established
            in anapanasati. I agree that all these texts are not so easy at first
            sight.

          • matheesha
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
              Hi Nina,

              > The different cittas go so fast, so fast. I see more that it can
              only
              > be kusala citta with understanding that understands different
              > moments. There are so many akusala cittas compared to rare moments
              of
              > kusala, and even rarer are kusala cittas with pa~n~naa. This is not
              > discouraging, what matters is, understanding both akusala cittas and
              > kusala cittas.

              2 questions Nina. Appreciate any clarifications:

              Do you differentiate punna with kusala?

              What factors help to identify kusala when it arises?

              with metta

              Matheesha
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
                Hi Matheesha,
                very good questions for considering.
                1. Pu~n~na is often translated as merit. It is kusala. Think of the
                pu~n~na kiriyavatthu, the ten bases of meritorious deeds: included in
                daana, siila, bhaavana.
                The difference is more in the context where they are used. Kusala is
                said of the citta, kusala citta, but unless it is very weak (you
                think of giving but do not do it) it is the same as kusala kamma.
                Even if it arises for a few moments.

                2. What factors help to identify kusala when it arises?
                Only understanding. Actually, direct awareness and understanding.
                When we think about it, it has gone. As I said to James, thinking in
                retrospect is not so clear. Besides, we may think with attachment or
                conceit and then there is already ignorance, because ignorance arises
                with each akusala citta.
                It helps to listen to the teachings and commentaries: kusala is pure,
                it is without lobha, dosa and moha. It arises with calm and
                detachment. There is no disturbance by restlessness as is the case
                when akusala citta arises.
                This has to be verified in daily life, it is not merely theory.
                By listening understanding grows and then we learn that it has a
                characteristic, different from akusala. We can become familiar with
                its characteristic when it appears. But it is necessary to become
                familiar with all the characteristics that appear through the six
                doors. That is the development of insight.

                This sort of questions are very helpful for everyone, always good if
                you have more.
                Nina.
                Op 3-sep-2006, om 16:13 heeft matheesha het volgende geschreven:

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2006
                  Hi Nina,
                  > 1. Pu~n~na is often translated as merit. It is kusala. Think of
                  the
                  > pu~n~na kiriyavatthu, the ten bases of meritorious deeds: included
                  in
                  > daana, siila, bhaavana.
                  > The difference is more in the context where they are used. Kusala
                  is
                  > said of the citta, kusala citta, but unless it is very weak (you
                  > think of giving but do not do it) it is the same as kusala kamma.
                  > Even if it arises for a few moments.

                  M: Am I to understand that punna is a more conventional way of
                  talking about kusala?
                  I read somewhere that punna leads to favourable rebirth and worldly
                  pleasures and kusala leads to nibbana. Do you think that is correct?

                  >M: 2. What factors help to identify kusala when it arises?
                  >N: Only understanding. Actually, direct awareness and
                  understanding.
                  > ..> It helps to listen to the teachings and commentaries: kusala is
                  pure,
                  > it is without lobha, dosa and moha. It arises with calm and
                  > detachment. There is no disturbance by restlessness as is the case
                  > when akusala citta arises.
                  > This has to be verified in daily life, it is not merely theory.
                  > By listening understanding grows and then we learn that it has a
                  > characteristic, different from akusala. We can become familiar
                  with
                  > its characteristic when it appears. But it is necessary to become
                  > familiar with all the characteristics that appear through the six
                  > doors. That is the development of insight.

                  M: What is the purpose of identifying kusala especially? Should we
                  not be identifying the characteristics of everything which arises?

                  with metta

                  Matheesha
                • Leo
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 5, 2006
                    Hi Nina and All

                    You need to enjoy something... I would like to enjoy nice forest or
                    park then a state of "I do not care" But it is a personal
                    choice...........

                    With metta
                    Leo