breath as concept as dhatu?

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2006
      Hi Nina

      I was listening to a talk about breath. I heard this - "concept
      of breath can be object of samattha, but reality ofreath is object
      of vipasanna."

      A couple of questions -

      If one sneezes on one's hand, say, the awareness of the breath will
      be as concept, but it can also be dhatu, I heard. Dhatu can be
      concept, I heard. This surprised me. Doesn't dhatu mean element?
      Mustn't dhatu be paramattha dhamma?

      For the breath to be known as reality, it would need to be the
      rupa that it produced by citta, I heard, and this is too subtle, too
      difficult. So people who develop samattha have the nimitta as
      object - did I get that right?

      And in the recent talks there is the talk about nimitta, that when
      we are aware of characteristics it will be as nimitta. Is this the
      same thing as the nimitta that samatha has as object? I guess not,
      because I think I heard Acharn Sujin say that samattha is not about
      understanding, but surely knowing characteristics is about
      understanding.

      Thanks in advance for any feedback, and please no hurry. (Also,
      again, no need for a reply to my post about "no nina")

      Phil