Cetasikas' study corner 461- Non-Attachment/Alobha (i)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      Dear Friends,

      'Cetasikas' by Nina van Gorkom

      http://www.vipassana.info/cetasikas.html
      http://www.zolag.co.uk/

      Questions, comments and different views welcome;-)
      Ch 28, Non-Attachment(Alobha)contd
      *****
      When we perform a good deed, there is non-attachment already,
      we do not have to try to be detached or to renounce something.

      When we perform dåna we give up our selfish inclination and we
      think of the benefit of someone else, at least for that moment.

      When we refrain from harsh speech we give up something, we
      renounce evil speech by which we harm both ourselves and others.

      When there is loving kindness, which is the cetasika non-aversion,
      adosa, there must be non-attachment as well which renounces
      selfishness. When there is selfish affection for other people there
      cannot be loving kindness at the same time. When we are attached
      to someone, our attachment does not do him any good, we only
      cling to our own pleasant feeling we derive from his or her company.

      It is essential to know our own different feelings. We should find
      out when pleasant feeling goes together with selfishness and when
      it is the joy which may accompany kusala citta. We are so attached
      to just having pleasant feeling that we do not notice when it is
      akusala and thus useless.

      At the moment loving kindness or compassion arises there is genuine
      concern for someone else and we forget for a few moments the “I” we often
      consider the centre of the world.
      •*****
      Non-Attachment(Alobha)to be contd

      ======