The 5 Clusters of Clinging ... !!!

  • Bhikkhu Samahita
    Message 1 of 3 , May 19, 2006
      Friends:
      There are these five Clusters of Clinging (Khandha):

      The Blessed Buddha once said: Bhikkhus, there are these five Clusters of Clinging. What five?

      1: The Cluster of Clinging to Form...
      2: The Cluster of Clinging to Feeling...
      3: The Cluster of Clinging to Perception�
      4: The Cluster of Clinging to Construction�
      5: The Cluster of Clinging to Consciousness�

      These are the 5 Clusters of Clinging! The Noble 8-fold Way should be developed for the direct experience
      of these five Clusters of Clinging, for the full understanding and elimination of them, and for their final
      overcoming, abandoning and leaving all behind�This Noble 8-fold Way is developed for the uprooting of all
      the five Clusters of Clinging!

      Explanation:
      The Cluster of Clinging to Form is internally as �own body� & externally as appearing as �my world� & �others body��
      The Cluster of Clinging to Feeling is the obsession with pleasant feeling, painful feeling and neutral feeling�
      The Cluster of Clinging to Perception is the monomaniac fascination of the diverse objects of the six senses�
      The Cluster of Clinging to Construction is fixated passion for intending, planning, attending, thinking, worrying �
      The Cluster of Clinging to Consciousness is addiction to the seen, heard, smelt, tasted, touched, and cognized�
      Cluster of Clinging means an assemblage, bunch, clump, collection, group or knot of tightly adhering attachment!
      There is nothing here �outside� or �apart� from the clusters of clinging, neither internally nor externally�!!!

      For details on Clusters of Clinging: Khanda see:
      � Definition: The 5 Clusters of Clinging http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/What_are_the_5_Clusters_of_Clinging.htm
      � ~ as acquisition of fuel Acquisition of Fuel http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/Acquisition_of_Fuel.htm
      � ~ as changing, painful & non-self Any Kind http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/Any_Kind.htm
      � ~ as ownerless Not Yours http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/Not_Yours.htm
      � ~ as binding The Leash http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/The_Leash.htm
      � ~ as transient Fingernail of Soil http://what-buddha-said.net/drops/Fingernail_of_Soil.htm

      Source (edited extract):
      The Grouped Sayings of the Buddha. Samyutta Nikaya.
      Book [V:60-1] section 45: The Way. 178: The 5 Cluster of Clinging...

      <...>
      Message 2 of 3 , May 23, 2006
        Dear Ven Samahita,

        I usually don't comment, but I appreciate all your quotes and
        explanations. I keep many aside for reference.

        I have a few comments on your explanation on this one, however. I'd be
        glad of any feedback.

        --- Bhikkhu Samahita <bhikkhu.samahita@...> wrote:

        > Friends:
        > There are these five Clusters of Clinging (Khandha):
        >
        > The Blessed Buddha once said: Bhikkhus, there are these five Clusters of
        > Clinging. What five?
        >
        > 1: The Cluster of Clinging to Form...
        > 2: The Cluster of Clinging to Feeling...
        > 3: The Cluster of Clinging to Perception…
        > 4: The Cluster of Clinging to Construction…
        > 5: The Cluster of Clinging to Consciousness…
        ,...>
        > Explanation:
        > The Cluster of Clinging to Form is internally as ‘own body’ & externally
        > as appearing as ‘my world’ & ‘others body’…
        S: I believe there can be clinging to any rupa - not just the rupas of
        one's own body or others' bodies. For example, now there can be clinging
        to visible object, tangible object or sound as we type away. I agree that
        the greatest clinging is usually to the rupas of our own bodies.

        > The Cluster of Clinging to Feeling is the obsession with pleasant
        > feeling, painful feeling and neutral feeling…
        > The Cluster of Clinging to Perception is the monomaniac fascination of
        > the diverse objects of the six senses…
        S: I like your colourful use of language!
        > The Cluster of Clinging to Construction is fixated passion for
        > intending, planning, attending, thinking, worrying …
        S: Surely this is the clinging to any of the cetasikas (mental
        factors)apart from vedana and sanna? Perhaps what you have given in each
        case are just meant as examples, now I think of it.
        > The Cluster of Clinging to Consciousness is addiction to the seen,
        > heard, smelt, tasted, touched, and cognized…
        S: Wouldn't it be more accurate to say that it is the 'addiction to the
        seeing, hearing, smelling, tasting, touching and cognizing'? For example,
        what is seen is visible object. It is not consciousness, it is rupa.
        Perhaps we just use the words in different ways, but I think it's
        important to clearly distinguish the experiencing from the experienced.
        This is why they have different khandhas.
        Any comments or clarification from you would be welcome.

        Thank you again for all your work in sharing these extracts with us,
        Venerable Sir.

        With respect,

        Sarah
        =======
      • Bhikkhu samahita
        Message 3 of 3 , May 24, 2006
          Hi friend Sarah:

          1: I agree: There can be clinging to whatsoever form of form...

          2: Yes, indeed I just tried to give the main examples in 1 single line.

          3: The Cluster of Clinging to Consciousness is the addiction to _the
          Awareness_
          of the seen, heard, smelt, tasted, touched, and cognized… In other words
          to visual, auditory, olfactory, gustatory, tactile & mental
          consciousness...

          Bhikkhu Samahita, Sri Lanka.

          Friendship is the Greatest ...
          Let there be Calm & Free Bliss !!!