Re: [DhammaStudyGroup]drugs) Re: kusala, akusala, ignorance, wrong view, samatha,samadhi, dogmas, drugs and ex-Christian aunts!

  • Robert Kirkpatrick
    Message 1 of 73 , Jun 30, 2001
      Dear Joe,

      --- jcummings@... wrote:
      > JON:Sure, there are lots of techniques that when
      > practised
      > can
      > be
      > > interpreted as bringing signs of progress on the path, but
      > if the
      > practice
      > > is not correct from the beginning the result will not be the
      > development
      > > of the path taught by the Buddha.
      >
      > JOE:Can't wisdom arise during any activity, assuming right
      view is
      > present?
      > ___________________________

      This is true. But if we are doing some activity other than
      understanding whatever is arisen - in the belief that this
      activity will condition the path - then there is likely to be a
      subtle or not subtle type of silabataparamasa (clinging to sila
      and ritual), a type of wrong view. If one has taken some
      hallucinogen or any drug I don't think we can say this precludes
      awareness arising BUT if we take it with the idea that this will
      support the path that is another matter.
      Also as alcohol is known to weaken hiri and otappa it may be
      that these drugs also have some damaging effect: there are
      stories of people doing rather silly things while 'tripping'.
      There was a Kings minister Santati(not sure of name) who was on
      a 3 day drinking binge with his concubines. He was blotto but
      saw the Buddha in the park and immediately the alcohol in him
      was vaporised by the force of the kusala cittas that arose . I
      think he became an arahant that day.
      robert

      > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Jonothan Abbott
      Message 73 of 73 , Jun 6, 2004
        Phil

        --- Philip <plnao@...> wrote: >
        > Now, I've done so much reading in various religions
        > before "settling" on the Buddha's teaching, that I can't remember if
        > I read this in a book by a Christian mystic (Meister Eckhardt?) or in
        > new -agey stuff like Seat of the Soul or whether it was the Buddha's
        > teaching, but is there anything about the value of intentions in
        > themselves, irregardless of whether the intention is carried through?
        > For example, when I told Nina that I intended to send a donation to
        > the Dhamma Foundation to thank her for her books, but didn't, was the
        > intention itself kusala even though it wasn't followed through? That
        > is just one example....
        > Was the intention I felt quite clearly the other day, an intention
        > that just kind of arose, of a kusala nature in itself? If "deeds are
        > essentially the manifestation of their accompanying intention", but
        > the deed is some months down the road, can it be said there was
        > wholesome khamma with the intention?

        An intention to do kusala can itself be kusala. That is to say, the
        possibility of such an intention itself being kusala cannot be ruled out.
        Not all kusala moments manifest as an action through body or speech.

        As to a particular instance, it's impossible to say, and probably best not
        to even wonder about ;-)) For most of us, intentions are mixed at the
        best of times, so it's a safe bet there would have been both kusala and
        akusala mind-states arising, alternately.

        > I'm not wanting to use this as a
        > way of having wholesome khamma by intending things intentionally -
        > but if an seemingly wholesome intention arises on its own, clearly,
        > explicitly, in an unexpected way...can I understand it as kusala?

        Any presently arising dhamma, be it kusala mind-state, akusala mind-state,
        a mental factor such as feeling, or a rupa such as visible-object, can be
        the object of awareness.

        Awareness of a presently arising dhamma is the most precious form of
        kusala there is.