[dsg] Re: ‘Cetasikas' study corner 385- Different Groups of Defilements Part 3 (i)

  • htootintnaing
    Message 1 of 1161 , Mar 1 3:12 PM
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Tep Sastri"
      <tepsastri@...> wrote:

      Dear Han, Htoo, and Sarah (and Nina):

      <snip>

      Questions:
      Why are hindrances not a part of aasava?
      Are hindrances not 'kilesa'?
      Is 'kilesa' same as 'akusala'?

      I don't have a premeditated answer for each of these questions,
      Han,
      because I don't know.

      Many thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out.

      Yours truly,

      Tep
      Htoo:

      Dear Tep, Han, Sarah, Nina and all,

      A good board of discussion.

      The Buddha preached Dhamma according to the audience. Aasava and
      niivara.na are not the same. Even if they are same the similarity
      will be because of the characters as paramattha dhamma. Otherwise
      The Buddha would not have preached separately.

      Aasava dhamma are 4. Kaamasava, bhavaasava, di.t.thaasava, and
      avijjaasava.

      Kaamasava can work as kaamacchanda niivara.na.

      Kaamacchanda can be kaamasava.

      But byaapaada niivara.na is not aasava. Nor do uddhacca-kukkucca and
      thina-middha niivara.na.

      This is according to base dhamma that is paramattha dhamma.

      But aasava and niivara.na will not be the same.

      Hindrances are part of kilesa. But they are not equated.

      kilesa is mainly talked on cetasika.

      Akusala is mainly talked on cittas. All akusala cittas are javana
      cittas.

      With much respect to all,

      Htoo Naing
    • philip
      Message 1161 of 1161 , Aug 21, 2013
        Dear Group

        Here is a useful post on what "volition means in the Dhamma. Of course it is different from what comfort-seekers sutting on cushions want it to mean:

        I highlight one part: > "We should consider why we want to perform kusala kamma. Is
        > our aim kusala vipaaka?"

        I think we are seeking pleasant vipaaka most of the time when we consider Dhamma, seeking comfort. (Even if we are not seeking pleasant mind states in a blatant way, through ritual cushion play.) We have to be honest about that.

        Please enjoy the rest of the post.

        Phil