D.O. according to Suttanta and Abhidhamma, attention to Howard.

  • nina van gorkom
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 26 1:12 AM
      Hi Howard,
      I read that you are more inclined to the Suttanta method as regards D.O. But
      also in the suttas there is abhidhamma. When the Buddha spoke about birth,
      old age, sickness and death he gently introduced people to understand birth
      and death at each moment, namely of nama and rupa.
      Larry and I have begun this project that will last more then two years. As
      we go along, maybe it will be clearer to you that D.O. deals with nama and
      rupa. We cannot understand D.O. if we do not understand the khandhas,
      elements and ayaatanas it deals with and in which ways the different dhammas
      are related to each other. That is why we find a summing up of all the
      conditions and an explanation of them in the folloowing paras. It is very
      meaniongful that we studied the Khandhas first in Ch XIV.
      Meanwhile it is very useful if you raise your objections to Buddhaghosa. I
      like to hear concrete examples. This gives me a chance to consider more, and
      if possible to clear up misunderstandings about the commentary.
      Nina.
    • Charles
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 26 5:28 AM
        Hi Nina and All,

        In my could-be-wrong opinion, if the momentary birth and decay of
        things are known, then the Dependent Origination should be read like
        this

        no avijja, no sankhara
        no sankhara, no vinnana
        no vinnana, no nama-rupa
        no nama-rupa, no salayatana
        no salayatana, no contact
        no contact, no feeling
        no feeling, no tanha
        no tanha, no craving
        no craving, no rebirth
        no rebirth, no birth
        no birth, no old age, sickness, and old age.

        :-]

        --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, nina van gorkom <vangorko@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 26 7:19 AM
          Hi Charles Ch,
          only if there is the full realization of the truth by the arahat.
          Nina.