[dsg] Re: Directed and Undirected Meditation jhana

  • kenhowardau
    Message 1 of 285 , Dec 1, 2005
      Hi James,

      -------------------
      Ken H to Howard: > > I think we have agreed in the past that many
      ariyans attained
      > by bare insight. In other words, jhana was NOT an aspect -
      crucial
      > or otherwise - of their 'move towards awakening.'

      J: > Didn't Bhikkhu Bodhi write an aricle to this group about how a
      person can become a sotapanna without jhana but that some level of
      jhana is required for the attainments of once-returner, non-
      returner, and arahant?
      -------------

      He wrote an article but I don't remember if it was specifically to
      this group. Sarah posted it in instalments and Rob M reposted it a
      couple of months ago. I'm not sure, but as I remember the article,
      the commentaries say that all stages of attainment are possible
      without mundane jhana, but B. Bodhi disagrees. According to his
      reading of the suttas, the stage of arahantship is the exception.

      Ken H
    • Jonothan Abbott
      Message 285 of 285 , Jan 5, 2006
        Hi Joop

        Joop wrote:

        >Hallo Jon
        >
        >I prefer not to repeat myself and not discuss linguistic
        >misunderstandings.
        >Waiting for your separately message on "the accumulations point" I
        >will make one remark
        >
        >Jon: "Nevertheless, the particular sequence of:
        >(1) inclination/intention to do akusala, followed by
        >(2) kusala resolution not to do so
        >is one that everyone is familiar with, I'm sure. How would you
        >describe it?"
        >
        >Joop: You have explained that "inclination" in your vocubalaire
        >means "intention" and not - what I thought - something semi-permanent
        >as "tendency" and so has nothing to do with 'accumulations". In that
        >case I have only one problem: There is no need to use to two-step-
        >sequende, I prefer one step: Intention to do kusala.
        >So I am not everyone.

        It could also be stated in a 'one-step' formulation as 'the kusala
        resolution to refrain from akusala about to be done' (this also avoids
        the double-negative). As I said before, there is scope for the manner
        of expression.

        In the texts the different kinds of kusala are frequently treated
        separately, and it is sometimes useful to have terminology that
        distinguishes one kind from the others (the classic 3-fold division used
        in the suttas is dana, sila and bhavana).