Re: [dsg] Re: upadana khandhas

    Message 1 of 37 , Sep 12, 2005
      Dear Steve, Nina & all,

      S: I just wrote the following and would like to add more again:)

      >S:To add a little more on this from Sammohavinodanii, (PTS, Class. Of
      Aggregates, 132f):

      “ ‘As to the distinction’: [that is] as to the distinction between
      ‘aggregates’ (khandha) and ‘aggregates [as objects] of clinging’
      (upaadaanakkhandha). But what is the distinction between them?
      ‘Aggregates’ in the first place is said without distinction; but
      ‘aggregates [as objects] of clinging’ [is said] distinguishing those which
      are subject to cankers and are to be clung to
      (saasava-upaadaaniiya-bhaavena), according as it is said....” (quote from
      Siii47 follows)<
      >>Steve: Page 580 of the Dhammasa.nga.ni (U Kyaw Khine translation) has:
      >
      > What are the dhammaa which are objects of aasavas (saasava.m): There
      > are meritorious, demeritorious and neither-meritorious-nor-
      > demeritorious dhammaa of the sensuous sphere, the fine material
      > sphere and the Non-material sphere which are the aggregate of
      > corporeality, feeling, perception and the aggregate of consciousness.
      > These are the dhammaa which are objects of aasavas
      >
      > Katame dhammaa saasavaa? Kusalaakusalaabyaakataa dhammaa
      > kaamaavacaraa, ruupaavacaraa, aruupaavacaraa; ruupakkhandho …pe…
      > vi~n~naa.nakkhandho–
      > ime dhammaa saasavaa.
      S: I was just quoting from the Atthasaalinii (PTS, Expositor) for another
      thread and came across the following in ‘Triplets in the Maatikiaa’, which
      I think is helpful too:

      “In the triplet of ‘Grasped and favourable to grasping,’ ‘grasped’ means-
      seized-as-effect by a kamma, attended by craving and wrong view in the act
      of sensing or thinking of an object. Upaadaaniyaa means ‘favourable to
      grasping’ because of the connection with grasping *by having become
      objects*. The term is applied to objects of grasping.

      Effects grasped and favourable to grasping’ (upaadinnupaadaaniyaa) is a
      name given to material and mental states born of kamma attended by the
      ‘intoxicants’ (aasava’s). In this way, but in the negative sense, the
      meaning of the remaining two terms should be understood.

      Pali***:
      “Upaadinnupaadaaniyattike aaramma.nakara.navasena ta.nhaadiihi upetena
      kammunaa aaci.n.naa phalabhaavena gahitaa ti upaadinnaa.

      *Aaramma.nabhaava.m upagantvaa* upaadaanasambhanena upaadaanaana.m hitaa
      ti upaadaaniyaa. Upaadaanassa aaramma.napaccayabhuutaana.m eta.m
      adhivacana.m.

      Upaadinnaa ca te upaadaaniyaa ca upaadinnupaadaaniyaa.
      Saasavakammanibbattaana.m ruupaaruupadhammaanam eta.m adhivacana.m.

      Iminaa nayena sesapadadvayena pa.tisedhasahito attho veditabbo.”
      *****
      >S: From the commentary note which B.Bodhi quotes on p.1059 of SN:

      “Spk:...’With taints (saasava) means: what becomes a condition for the
      taints by way of object; so too ‘that can be clung to (upaadaaniya) means
      what becomes a condition for clinging [Spk-p.t: by being made its object].
      Among the aggregates subject to clinging, stated by way of the practice of
      insight, the form aggregate is sense sphere, the others pertain to the
      three planes (i.e, excluding only the supramundane.)”<

      ***p.s sorry to others for so much Pali – I know Steve and Nina find it
      helpful in this tricky context! I hope those who prefer to ignore it, did
      so!
    • seisen_au
      Message 37 of 37 , Sep 15, 2005
        Hi Sarah,

        Thanks for the replies. I don't really have much more to add to the
        thread at the moment as I feel I would be just be repeating my
        previous comments. Though I will quote B. Bodhi in response to the
        question K. Sujin raised twice in the passages you quoted:

        "How can the panca khandha which are not the object of clinging be
        upadana khandha?'

        Because upadana khandha does not mean khandhas are "accompanied by
        taints and by clinging" but "capable of being taken as objects of the
        taints and of clinging"

        Looking forward to listening to the recordings.

        Steve