Re: Breathing Treatise /commentaries

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 30, 2005
      Hi, Nina -

      I appreciate your message # 47138 which, I think, is a good
      complement to the Breathing Treatise. Thank you for writing another
      message (#47142) to respond to my earlier concerns; I do not have
      any follow-up questions at this point.

      Let's work together to fill as many gaps in the Breathing Treatise as
      possible. We do not have to agree on everything in order to effectively
      work together, I guess.

      Sincerely,

      Tep

      ===
      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, Nina van Gorkom
      <vangorko@x> wrote:
      > Hi Tep,
      > perhaps some Q were answered already in my last post by the
      commentaries.

    • Tep Sastri
      Message 35 of 35 , Aug 12, 2005
        Dear Nina {and all} -

        Thank you for this good abhidhamma lesson.

        N: When kusala citta arises it is accompanied by saddhaa, and also
        by chanda and viriya which are in that case kusala. Then they
        condition one another, all conascent naama-dhammas condition one
        another.

        Tep: I really like the conascent condition. Your explanation is crystally
        clear.

        ----------------------------------

        N: But as right understanding develops, it is a condition for the indriyas
        to be balanced. There is no need to think: how shall I balance the
        indriyas.

        Tep: So that's why MN 147 states that when the path factors are fully
        developed, the five indriyas arise together along with other
        bodhipakkhiya dhammas.The Breathing Treatise also explains
        about "combining" indriyas.

        Warm regards,

        Tep

        =======

        <vangorko@x> wrote:
        > Hi Tep,
        > op 12-08-2005 14:59 schreef Tep Sastri op tepsastri@y...:
        >
        > > Does saddha always arise together with chanda and viriya,
        > -----
        > N: No. Saddha accompanies each sobhana citta, whereas chanda
        and viriya can also accompany akusala citta.
        > ------
        > T: or> does it condition the latter?
        > ------
        > N: When kusala citta arises it is accompanied by saddhaa, and also
        by chanda and viriya which are in that case kusala. Then they
        condition one another, all conascent naama-dhammas condition one
        another.
        > --------
        >
        > T: Must saddha be balanced with panna in order to get the job done
        right?
        > -----
        > N: Saddha is an indriya, faculty, together with energy, sati, samaadhi
        and paññaa. The indriyas are among the factors leading to
        enlightenment and they are developed together. They must be
        balanced. If there is a great deal of faith but no paññaa, faith is
        groundless. If there is too much energy and it is not balanced with
        samaadhi, one will be restless.