‘Cetasikas' study corner 209 - Zeal/chanda ( i)

    Message 1 of 1161 , Jun 1, 2005
      Dear Friends,

      'Cetasikas' by Nina van Gorkom

      http://www.vipassana.info/cetasikas.html
      http://www.zolag.co.uk/

      Questions, comments and different views welcome;-)
      [Ch.12 Zeal(chanda) contd]

      Kusala chanda is a necessary factor for the development of the
      eightfold Path. If there is no wish-to-do one does not develop it.
      However, we do not have to try to have chanda, it arises because
      of its own conditions together with the citta which develops the
      eightfold Path.

      We read in the Kindred Sayings (V, Mahå-vagga, XLV, Kindred
      Sayings on the Way, Chapter IV, II, Restraint of Passion, §3) that
      chanda is one of the factors which are “forerunners” of the arising
      of the ariyan eightfold Path:
      *
      "Just as, monks, the dawn is the forerunner, the harbinger of the arising
      of the sun, so possession of desire (chanda) is the forerunner, the
      harbinger of the arising of the ariyan eightfold way.
      Of a monk who is possessed of desire, monks, it may be expected
      that he will cultivate the ariyan eightfold way, that he will make much
      of the ariyan eightfold way…"
      *
      When we develop kusala, chanda may be predominant; it may
      have predominance over the accompanying dhammas. There are
      four factors which can be predominant, but only one at a time
      can be predominant. The four predominant factors (adhipatis)
      are: chanda, viriya, citta (particular types of citta) and
      “investigation” or “reflection” (vímaÿså, which is paññå cetasika)(1).

      When these factors have been developed they become
      the four “Roads to Success” (iddhipådas) leading to the attainment
      of the “supernormal powers” (abhiññås). There are five
      “supernormal powers” which are developed through jhåna (Vis.
      Chapter XII). The sixth power, which is the extinction of all
      defilements, is developed through vipassanå.

      Chanda or one of the three other “Roads to Success” can be predominant in
      the development of vipassanå (2).
      ***
      1) See Dhammasangaùi §269, and Atthasåliní I, Part VII, 212,213. Citta can
      be a predominant factor, but not all cittas; only the cittas which are
      accompanied by at least two hetus and perform the function of javana can
      be predominant. For example, lobha-múla-citta and kusala citta can be
      predominant, since they are rooted in more than one hetu, but
      moha-múla-citta cannot, since it is rooted only in moha. In the field of
      kusala, when chanda, viriya or vimaÿsa are not predominant, there can be
      firmness of kusala citta which is predominant.

      2) The four “Roads to Success” are among the thirty seven factors
      pertaining to enlightenment, bodhipakkhiya dhammas, Visuddhimagga XXII,
      33.
      *****
      [Ch.12 Zeal(chanda) to be contd]

      ======
    • philip
      Message 1161 of 1161 , Aug 21, 2013
        Dear Group

        Here is a useful post on what "volition means in the Dhamma. Of course it is different from what comfort-seekers sutting on cushions want it to mean:

        I highlight one part: > "We should consider why we want to perform kusala kamma. Is
        > our aim kusala vipaaka?"

        I think we are seeking pleasant vipaaka most of the time when we consider Dhamma, seeking comfort. (Even if we are not seeking pleasant mind states in a blatant way, through ritual cushion play.) We have to be honest about that.

        Please enjoy the rest of the post.

        Phil