Re: [dsg] Value of conceptual descriptions of characteristics

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 9 , May 31, 2005
      Hi Azita, Howard, Larry, Dan...

      > Azita: can't remember what my reply was then, and i can't find the
      > post, however I do remember thinking, at the time of my question
      and
      > the answer to it, that when there is an awareness of motion
      > then "I'll" know what it is. That probably irritates you even
      more,
      > but that's not my intention.

      Ph: Not irritated now, but the irritation when it arises helps to
      reflect on things. Very helpful. These days it's my eyes that are
      irritated (still ahven't gotten around to getting glasses) so I'm
      taking a break from the computer. I will be back on Saturday.

      Thanks for the feedback, all.

      Metta,
      Phil

      .
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2005
        Dear Friends,

        We've uploaded (or is it downloaded??)the re-edited recordings from India,
        October 2001, discussions with A.Sujin.

        They can be found on dhammastudygroup.org. I believe they contain many
        gems.

        Listening -- for me, the quality is very clear if I listen to them on the
        computer with ear-plugs only and when downloaded onto my i-pod. If anyone
        comes across any glitches, pls let us know.

        If anyone has trouble listening or down-loading and would like us to burn
        and mail an mp3, pls send me (off-list) your name and add in a way I can
        just cut and paste for mailing (even if you've sent it many times
        before!). If you didn't receive the India 04 recordings and would like a
        'burnt' copy of this at the same time, pls indicate and expect delays for
        any mailing as we're pretty busy these days, esp Jon.

        I hope many of you listen and post any extracts you find helpful or
        disagree with. I was spot-testing just now and heard these comments which
        I think are relevant to Phil's discussion about Azita's question and the
        good comments Howard and Dan added too:
        *****
        Qu about studying, even though there is clinging to results, so that panna
        can arise later...

        K.Sujin: "No expectation, because the function of panna is to detach, the
        only thing is to detach. It's so hard to detach because everyone has lots
        of accumulation of attachment. So who can help one to become detached?
        Only panna can.

        So when there is attachment to whatever it is -- wanting to know more
        about the Tipitaka or wanting to be good or any kind of wanting, it's
        lobha, because lobha can have anything as its object. Only lokuttara
        dhammas cannot be the object of lobha.

        Whenever there's lobha, there's no panna and whenever there's panna,
        there's no lobha. Anytime. It's hard to see lobha."
        *****

        [30mins later-

        On the recording, the names of other participants are given at the
        beginning, in order of 'appearance'. One of the main participants is Kom,
        our really great co-moderator until a few months ago. As I was writing
        this, he just called me from Thailand, having moved there recently from
        the States. I know many old members will be glad to hear news of him. He
        will be ordaining in July for a few months at least and will be living at
        a temple in Chengrai.]

        Another quote from this recording:

        K.Sujin: "When one does not expect anything, for example, any result or
        panna, great panna, one lives happily with the development of
        understanding and very naturally because one can see one's own
        accumulations and one knows one cannot have things one hasn't accumulated
        yet."

        Qu about not liking one's accumulations --

        K.Sujin: "Instead of knowing, it's deep-rooted lobha which shows up. Self
        doesn't like it again. When there's more understanding, one takes it easy
        - it doesn't matter because it's arisen by conditions, completely arisen
        by conditions. We have the latent tendency for lobha, dosa and other
        akusala, but if the akusala moment doesn't arise, how can one know one has
        it? So it's good to know the truth of one's accumulations and this is the
        way to develop panna, because panna can know reality."
      • Dan D.
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 2, 2005
          Phil, is it the computer itself that is irritating your eyes? If
          there is any possibility it is so, keep in mind that new monitors are
          much cheaper than new glasses.

          Best wishes,

          Dan

          --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "Philip" <philco777@h...>