RE: [DhammaStudyGroup] Re: Quiz

  • Sarah Procter Abbott
    Message 1 of 139 , Apr 3, 2001
      Dear Kom & Amara,

      I just saw yesterday that Rob has put the
      Visuddhimagga on abhidhamma.com
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/dhammastudygroup/links

      (sorry- I haven't saved direct links yet)

      so you may find it interesting to read the whole
      chapter on lobha and upadana.

      All-
      he is also in the process of putting Concepts &
      Realities (much discussed here) on the same site.

      So there's a lot of good Easter reading there and on
      dhammastudy.com & Zolag.

      Kom,

      you never know, you may find a few lurking nits...!
      Thanks in advance for your consideration.

      Sarah

      --- Kom Tukovinit <kom@...> wrote: > Dear K.
      Amara,

      > I haven't read Sarah's explanation thoroughly yet,
      > but it
      > sounds very plausible to me on the first pass. I
      > think I
      > will be quite happy with her explanation...
      >
      > Anumoddhana,
      >
      > kom

    • Jonothan Abbott
      Message 139 of 139 , Apr 26, 2001
        Rob, Mike and All,

        If I may be excused for nitpicking ...

        --- Robert Kirkpatrick
        <robertkirkpatrick@...> wrote: > Dear Mike,
        > I think I should be more specific here. When I said
        > "it drops
        > away easily" I meant (and should have said) that it
        > also doesn't
        > tend to come back so much (not like lobha for sense
        > objects -
        > which is only eradicated at the stage of anagami). I
        > wasn't sure
        > if that was clear.
        > All dhammas do as you indicate fall away so quickly
        > anyway -
        > 'long gone'- and that is a good point.

        The extent to which akusala of any kind may appear to
        fall away, or be reduced in strength or frequency
        thereafter, should not be thought of as either an
        indicator or a result of the arising of awareness.
        Awareness has its own distinctive characteristic and
        function which is independent of any of these
        'indicators'.

        > In fact, it may rearise at anytime for all of us
        > but it becomes
        > a little easier to detect the more it is seen as
        > lobha and not
        > (samma vayama)right effort(which it tends to look
        > like). It is
        > good to be reminded about this desire as it takes us
        > out of the
        > present moment. It is sort of a special one that
        > sincere
        > buddhists are likely to collect (but still samudaya
        > -sacca,
        > cause of dukkha).
        > This all reminds me of gayans vangcaka.
        > robert

        Or it could simply become more subtle and sneaky,
        since the tendency remains.

        Jon