The Path is born

  • matheesha
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 28 8:59 AM
      Hi Nina,

      I wonder if you could explain in abhidhamma terms what is meant by
      the below phrase 'the path is born',

      "Then there is the case where a monk has developed tranquillity
      preceded by insight. As he develops tranquillity preceded by
      insight, the path is born. He follows that path, develops it,
      pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it --
      his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.

      Anguttara Nikaya IV.170 Yuganaddha Sutta/In Tandem

      I'm wondering if this ties in with something where all the factors
      of the path reach highest point before issuing forth in magga and
      phala citta. I couldnt find a clear explanation on this, what I feel
      is an important issue. Any comments will be welcome.

      metta

      Matheesha
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 28 11:06 AM
        Hi Matheesha,
        op 28-04-2005 17:59 schreef matheesha op dhammachat@...:
        > I wonder if you could explain in abhidhamma terms what is meant by
        > the below phrase 'the path is born',
        >
        > "Then there is the case where a monk has developed tranquillity
        > preceded by insight. As he develops tranquillity preceded by
        > insight, the path is born. He follows that path, develops it,
        > pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it --
        > his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.
        >
        > Anguttara Nikaya IV.170 Yuganaddha Sutta/In Tandem
        ----------
        The Co. in Thai:
        <The Bhikkhu considers (is aware of) all conditioned dhammas (sankharas) all
        the time when he enters jhana. He enters jhana all the time when he
        considers conditioned realities.
        Question: when the bhikkhua has entered jhana how can he consider
        conditioned realities?
        Answer: the bhikkhu enters the first jhana and emerges from it and then
        considers conditioned dhammas. When he has considered conditioned dhammas he
        enters the second jhana...> and so on.
        I think the path is born refers to: first the mundane path up to lokuttara
        magga. He eradicates all defilements.
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29 12:58 AM
          Hi Matheesha, (Evan, Howard and others*)

          --- matheesha <dhammachat@...> wrote:
          > I wonder if you could explain in abhidhamma terms what is meant by
          > the below phrase 'the path is born',
          >
          > "Then there is the case where a monk has developed tranquillity
          > preceded by insight. As he develops tranquillity preceded by
          > insight, the path is born. He follows that path, develops it,
          > pursues it. As he follows the path, developing it & pursuing it --
          > his fetters are abandoned, his obsessions destroyed.
          >
          > Anguttara Nikaya IV.170 Yuganaddha Sutta/In Tandem
          S: Also see several posts written on this much discussed sutta in 'useful
          posts - Yuganaddha' in the files section and let us know if you have
          further questions after reading Nina's commentary note and these other
          posts.

          p.s *I'd just like to add some caution about the 'two weeks to jhana and
          nibbana path'. I know from my own experience that it's very easy to be
          fooled by one's own very strong attachment to self and views when one is
          in a Meditation Centre or temple like the one you describe in Sri Lanka.

          If one would so much like to reach all kinds of attainments and then one
          is encouraged by highly regarded teachers or bhikkhus to believe one's
          unusual experiences are just such, is there really going to be the insight
          and sincerity to know better? I apologise if these comments are inappropriate.
        • matheesha
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 30 10:55 PM
            Sarah,

            > S: Also see several posts written on this much discussed sutta
            in 'useful
            > posts - Yuganaddha' in the files section and let us know if you
            have
            > further questions after reading Nina's commentary note and these
            other
            > posts.

            Many thanks

            S: is there really going to be the insight
            > and sincerity to know better?

            M: I should hope so! But I can see what you are saying.

            metta

            Matheesha

            --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, sarah abbott