Re: Lamps Unto Ourselves?

  • rikpa21@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 31, 2001
      --- In dhammastudygroup@y..., "Jim Anderson" <jima@b...> wrote:
      > Dear Erik,
      >
      > The source of the confusion is the homonym 'diipa' which represents
      two
      > etymologically distinct words.
      [...]

      Just wanted to say thank you for that great response, and thanks to
      all the other relies as well.
    • Desmond Chiong
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 2, 2001
        taking refuge in the Buddha, Dhamma, and Sangha? [what does it mean?]

        Taking refuge in Buddha, Dharma, and Sangha, means:
        - to have Buddha as the goal or destination,
        - to use Dharma as the road map for direction,
        - to associate with Sangha, people of same goal and aspiration.
        Furthermore, just like seeking refuge in the United States, seeking refuge
        in Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, offers you protection, a safe haven, and a
        sanctuary against harm and hardship.
        Repeating in one's mind:
        "Buudham sarranam gichsami,
        Dharman sarranam gichsami,
        Sanghan sarranam gichsami",
        offers one the best protection from harm.

        . He says that Attadipa
        >viharatha, attasarana anannasarana, translates as "Dwell
        >making
        >yourselves your island (support) making yourselves your refuge
        >and
        >not anyone else as your refuge."

        The above, in my opinium means:
        Search the answer for the truth [dharma] within your own fathom long body.
        The Buddha, Dharma, and the Sangha can be found within one's fathom long
        body.
        He who sees and understands his body >>>>> sees Dharma;
        He who sees Dharma >>>>> sees Buddha

        He who understand his body [him/her self], understands Dharma;
        He who understands Dharma, understands Buddhia [buddhism]

        Here
        >Ananda a bhikkhu dwells contemplating the body in the
        >body..feelings in feelings..mind in mind...phenomena in
        >phenomena" Thus a summary of satipatthana.

        To dwell contemplating body in the body, feelings in the feelings, mind in
        mind, phenomena in phenomena means:

        to use your observing mind to see body in the [mundane] body;
        to see feelings in the [mundane] feelings;
        to see mind in the [mundane] mind;
        to see phenomena in the [mundane] phenomena.

        Hope the above explanations are of help.
        In medicine, the above explanation is called the applied anatomy or
        practical anatomy [anatomy that is used clinically, like in surgery, for use
        to treat patients] vs. pure anatomy [anatomy that one learns from the
        cadaver]
        The latter is exact [amen]
        The former is practical [buddha]

        Thanks,