[dsg] Re: Abhidhamma challenge 4

  • matheesha
    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 2, 2005
      Hi Nina,

      I was curious where the quote came from - the text seems show the
      buddha saying this. I dont recall anything similar in the suttas,
      which doesnt necessarily mean anyinthing except just that! But it is
      interesting that the buddha felt that there would be people who
      would not be able to progress further. In a way experience seems to
      bear this out. Sometimes however much we try guide and coax others
      into further practice they do seem to come to a standstill. Maybe it
      is lack of good kamma or conditions for the arising of insight.

      I think you approach to no-self/Anatta is slightly different from
      the way my practice goes. You seem to contemplate everythgin which
      arises as no self (I think), while the system I pracice in leads to
      a an arising of this insight by gradual development of panna with
      one conclusion at the end. I think both are valid approaches. Those
      with less faith maybe better suited for the method which i practice!

      Any ideas as why magga-citta phala citta and exact mechanisms
      detailed in the abhidhamma arent prominent in the suttas?

      metta

      matheesha
      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 27, 2005
        Hi Mike,
        op 27-04-2005 01:51 schreef mnease op mlnease@...:

        N: The Tiika explains that one first knows realities by inference and later
        > on
        >> by direct experience.
        >
        > Interesting--theory first, then practice...?
        N: Sukin gave an interesting and very useful explanation about pariyatti
        leading to the practice. Pariyatti has far more implications than one would
        think at first.
        A beginning of freedom from the ocean of concepts!
        Applying the Buddha's words in contrarious situations.
        Seeing when we are thinking of events and stories, often upsetting us, and
        when we realize that thinking is *only* thinking.