Pilgrimage India, Ch 5, a.

  • nina
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 6, 2005
      Pilgrimage India, 5a.

      Chapter 5.

      Association with Wise Friends

      We read in the ³Gradual Sayings² , Book of the Fours, Ch XXV, § 6, Growth in
      wisdom, that the Buddha said:

      Monks, these four states conduce to growth in wisdom.
      What four?
      Association with a good man, hearing the true Dhamma, right attention and
      practice in accordance with the Dhamma.

      Association with a good friend in Dhamma is one of the conditions for
      enlightenment. A good friend in Dhamma is a person who understands Dhamma
      correctly and can explain it. It is very fortunate that Acharn Sujin is our
      good friend in Dhamma who reminds us all the time of the meaning of anattå.
      We continue to take all dhammas for ³self² if right understanding of them
      is not developed. When kusala citta arises we are likely to take this for
      ³my kusala² or we may think of ourselves as being a good person, and that is
      conceit. When akusala citta arises we may have aversion about it or be
      ashamed about it, and we fail to see it as merely an impersonal element that
      arises because of its own conditions. There can be mindfulness and
      understanding of whatever dhamma appears without any selection of the object
      of awareness.
      One of my friends, Khun Purani, told me that her father, after the passing
      away of her mother, was inconsolable and desperate. Khun Purani told me how
      much Khun Sujin and other friends had supported him during the days
      preceding the cremation of her mother. Acharn Sujin spoke about the Dhamma
      right in front of the coffin. Formerly Khun Purani¹s father did not have
      much interest in the Buddha¹s teachings, but the support of the good friends
      in Dhamma helped him to have more confidence in the teachings. Khun Purani
      could persuade him to join our pilgrimage and day by day we could see how he
      changed. It was like a miracle. The Dhamma can change a person¹s life.

      ****