Re: Dhamma Thread (249) / old kamma used up

  • htootintnaing
    Message 1 of 382 , Feb 1, 2005
      Dear Joop (Kel, Nina, and All),

      Apology for my delay.

      You wrote:

      Dear Htoo (and all)

      In the end of your message you say: "When the old kamma is used up
      …"
      That reminds me on a question I've a longer time.

      So out of the context of your Dhamma Thread 249 I will ask it:

      All phenomena are conditioned, except Nibbana, the arise and fall
      away after some time that is different for different kinds of
      phenomena.

      But, is my question, how about kamma?
      Htoo: I have replied to you. But as it is a good subject I changed
      the topic as 'Kamma and Buddhism'.
      Joop continued:

      I have read somewhere that the question "where is kamma made of, is
      it a nama or a rupa or an energy etc ?" should not be asked
      (acinteyya: the four unthinkables).
      Htoo: Please see the details in 'Kamma and Buddhism'.
      Joop continued:

      But my question is: does kamma fall away after some time, after tens
      or hundreds or billions of years ?
      Htoo:

      No. Never. Once it arises it follows each and every citta as if it is
      the shade of citta. They do not fall away even after Kappas.
      Joop continued:

      I think it does, otherwise animals, living totally akusala, can never
      be reborn in higher sentient beings.
      Htoo: No.

      There are examples that animals are reborn in deva realms after death
      of animals' life like Kandaka horse of Bodhisatta, Ghosita dog of an
      upasaka etc. The prince Temiya was reborn in human realms after many
      many billions of year in hell, before that was a king who had to
      invlove in akusala things that led him to rebirth in hell and as soon
      as he was reborn in human realm he did not speak any word for fear of
      being a king again and involving in akusala actions. But generally
      once beings get to those 4 apaya bhumis or 4 woeful planes they will
      be there for a long time until their kamma have been given their debt.
      Joop continued:

      And when kamma falls away, it does just because it's the time for it,
      Htoo: Falling away of kamma may be equated with giving rise to their
      effects. Otherwise they will be there all the time until the end of
      the whole samsara.
      Joop continued:

      automatically like a rupa falls away after a millisecond (or
      shorter);
      Htoo: Kamma is not like a rupa. If the results have not been given
      rise to kamma will never fall away.
      Joop continued:

      or is kamma conditioned and does it only falls away when
      conditions for that falling away occur ?
      Htoo: When conditions fall away, kamma do not fall away.
      Joop continued:

      Or means 'used up": only when the being living with this kamma, has
      experienced the results of it?
      Htoo: Yes. It is used up means the results have been given rise to.
      That is the debt is return and nothing more to pay back.
      Joop continued:

      If you answer: please not to much Pali and not a to broad context.

      Metta

      Joop
      Htoo:

      I know. I just use simple terms in this reply.

      May you be free from suffering.

      With Unlimited Metta,

      Htoo Naing
    • htootintnaing
      Message 382 of 382 , Apr 5, 2005
        Dear Mods,

        I just re-post DT (300) because the heading was not changed. Could
        you
        please delete the exact copy of 300 with the heading '299' ?

        Thanks in advance.

        Htoo Naing