[dsg] Re: Meditation

  • Tep Sastri
    Message 1 of 35 , Jan 1, 2005
      Hi Mike (and Niana) -

      Thank you very much, Mike, for expressing a common interest in this
      fascinating subject of 'naamaruupapariccheda' as 'correct seeing of
      mind-and-body'. Yes, I will write more about this stuff with as much sutta
      support as I can find and, of course, with the kind help of Nina. It has
      been several years now that I have been trying to learn both principal
      and practical aspects of this first door of wisdom that opens to the
      higher planes of insight knowledge (as expounded by Ven.
      Buddhaghosa and by Ven. Mahasi Sayadaw in his "Progress of
      Insight"). Unfortunately, I have not found even one discourse (sutta) that
      directly addresses this issue.

      I truly appreciate Nina's energetic investigation into the Mahanama
      sutta and other related materials on this subject matter. I personally
      believe that this endeavor will, in time, not only reveal more subtle
      relationships between the Abhidahmma and the Sutta Pitaka, but also
      make clearer the citta behaviors during the process of insight
      development. For example, we might be able to understand how the
      citta realizes "the arising and falling away" of the five aggregates, one
      at a time, as Nina puts it :

      N: "When we still take nama and rupa as a whole how can the arising
      and falling away of realities one at a time, separately, ever be
      realized? We can reflect on impermanence, but that is only thinking".

      Mike, the followings (from her message # 40267) are Nina's extremely-
      interesting explanations of this insight knowledge, that cuts through the
      nama-rupa. I would like to propose that we use them as building blocks
      for developing our clearer understanding of yatha-bhuta-nana-
      dassana vipassana.

      N: <At such moments there is no person, no world, only nama and rupa
      appearing one at a time. But after these moments have fallen away the
      world appears as usual. This means: the sense-door processes hide
      again the mind-door process, just like now. There is seeing, seeing,
      seeing. But what has been realized at the moments of insight
      knowledge must be applied to all kinds of nama and rupa. The
      application in the intervals between the moments of vipassana naa.na
      are the parinnas. >

      N: <Without fully known, without comprehending the all, monks, without
      detaching himself from, without abandoning the all, a man is incapable
      of extinguishing dukkha...> It is asked what all? The eye, objects, etc.
      Herein is the clue, the preparation you asked for. Mindfulness and
      understanding has to be developed of all objects appearing one at a
      time through the six doors. We have to know the difference between
      concept and reality, only realities are objects of satipatthana. The
      khandhas, the elements, the aayatanas. Or in short: dhammas,
      paramattha dhammas.

      Kindest regards,

      Tep

      ===

      --- In dhammastudygroup@yahoogroups.com, "mnease"

      Message 35 of 35 , Feb 1, 2007
        Hi Phil,
        But in order to understand what rupa is, being quite different from
        nama, one also has to be mindful of the nama that appears.
        Unavoidable. It is like B.B. also says. Or sometimes we read that
        feeling has to be fully understood, but that means that also other
        phenomena like rupa have to be fully understood.
        Nina.
        Op 1-feb-2007, om 0:37 heeft Phil het volgende geschreven: