Re: Bhante and Smiling was (Re: [dsg] Evil thoughts (Howard))

  • Bhante Vimalaramsi
    Message 1 of 103 , Dec 1, 2004
      Dhamma Greetings Ken O,

      Do you understand that the critical mind is a part of dosa? There is no
      need to be nasty! Just because you don't understand how soemthing can be
      of benefit doesn't mean that it is not of benefit. Please lighten up!

      Bhante Vimalaramsi

      Juno Gift Certificates
      Give the gift of Internet access this holiday season.
      http://www.juno.com/give
    • Ken O
      Message 103 of 103 , Dec 7, 2004
        Hi Bhante

        I have not forgetten your question. Buddha never used this five
        things very loosely. When Buddha talks about skillfulness in the
        Koalamas what is about. A look at this sutta below will tell us that
        on what basis these five terms should be based on wisdom (I dont
        think there is a need for me to elaborate what is wisdom in Buddha
        context)

        SN 35 Salayatanasamyutta).153 Is there a method
        "there is a method of exposition by means by which a bhikkhu - apart
        from faith...apart from acceptance of a view after pondering - can
        declare final knowledge thus: 'Destroyed is birth...there is no more
        for this state of being.' And what is that method of of exposition?
        Here, bhikkhus, having seen a form with the eye, if there is lust,
        hatred, or delusion internally, a bhikkhu understands: There is lust,
        hatred or delusion internally'; or if there is no lust, hatred or
        delusion internally, he understands: There is no lust, hatred or
        delusion internally. Since this is so, are these things to be
        understood by faith, or by personal perference or by oral tradition
        or
        by reasoned reflection or by acceptance of a view after pondering
        it?"
        "No venerable sir."
        "Arent these things to be understood by seeing them with wisdom?"
        "Yes venerable sir."
        "this bhikkus is the method of exposition by means of which a bhikkhu
        can declare final knowledge thus: 'Destroyed is birth...there is no
        more for this state of being.'>>

        Then again this five things is explore in MN 95 Canki Sutta, I am a
        bit lazy to type it out all. When Buddha ask us to put faith on, the
        basis is seen on this sutta

        <<16. In that ways, Master Gotama, there is preservation of truth;
        in that one perserves truth, in that way we recognise the
        preservation of truth. But in what way, Master Gotama, is there
        discovery of truth? In what way does one discover turth? We ask
        Master Gotama about the discovery of truth."
        .
        .
        18 When he investigated him [a venerable one] and has seen that he is
        purified from based on greed, he next investigates him regard to
        states based on hate....
        .
        .
        <<20. When he has investigate him and has seen that he is puried
        from states based on delusion, then he places faith in him;>>

        B: The rest of the Kalama Sutta deals with the practice of the
        > Brahma Viharas and this definitely deals with happiness and
        smiling. Don't you agree?

        k: Smiling and the four immeasurables are two different things.
        And also before going into Brahma Viharas, the sutta mention <<the
        noble discple -- devoid of covetuous, devoid of ill will, unconfused,
        clearly comprehening, ever mindful.>> and also I did not see any
        about smile to be used before or after Brahma Viharas. Where did you
        get this smile method from? If you get it from somewhere in the
        text, I admit I am wrong about this method and I apolgise, if not
        please do not teach others about such wrong methods which cannot be
        found anywhere in the text.

        Ken O

        Get Yahoo! Mail www.yahoo.co.uk/10k