‘Cetasikas' study corner39-Feeling/Vedana (l)

    Message 1 of 1161 , Nov 2, 2004
      Dear Friends,

      Cetasikas by Nina van Gorkom.

      http://www.vipassana.info/cetasikas.html
      http://www.zolag.co.uk/
      Questions, comments and different views welcome;-)
      [Ch.2 Feeling (Vedana) contd]
      *****
      Somanassa can accompany kusala citta, but it does not
      accompany each kusala citta. When we perform dåna (generosity),
      observe síla (morality) or apply ourselves to mental development,
      there can be somanassa or upekkhå, indifferent feeling, with the
      kusala citta. We would like to have kusala citta with somanassa,
      but for the arising of somanassa there have to be the right conditions.

      One of these is strong confidence in the benefit of kusala. Confidence
      (saddhå) is a wholesome cetasika which accompanies each kusala
      citta, but there are many degrees of confidence. When one has
      strong confidence in kusala, one will perform it with joy. We read
      in the Atthasåliní (I, Part II, Chapter I, 75) that:
      ‘abundance of confidence (saddhå), purity of views, seeing advantage
      in kusala, should be understood as factors of this consciousness in
      making it accompanied by joy’.

      When someone has right view of realities, right view of kusala
      and akusala, of kamma and its result, he will be firmly convinced
      of the benefit of kusala and this is a condition to perform it with
      somanassa.
      *****
      [Feeling(Vedana) to be contd]

      ======

    • philip
      Message 1161 of 1161 , Aug 21, 2013
        Dear Group

        Here is a useful post on what "volition means in the Dhamma. Of course it is different from what comfort-seekers sutting on cushions want it to mean:

        I highlight one part: > "We should consider why we want to perform kusala kamma. Is
        > our aim kusala vipaaka?"

        I think we are seeking pleasant vipaaka most of the time when we consider Dhamma, seeking comfort. (Even if we are not seeking pleasant mind states in a blatant way, through ritual cushion play.) We have to be honest about that.

        Please enjoy the rest of the post.

        Phil