RE: [DhammaStudyGroup]Compassion

  • Kom Tukovinit
    Message 1 of 60 , Mar 3, 2001
      Dear Jon,

      I think the discussion was on:
      1) What adosa, metta (also adosa) and karuna (compassion)
      are
      2) The possible objects for adosa, metta, and karuna
      3) The cittas that compassion can arise with
      4) This all went back to Joyce's assertation that compassion
      must arise with panna that arises with mindfulness
      (satipatthana).

      Adosa and Metta (http://www.dhammastudy.com/paramat5.html):
      Adosa-cetasika is the cetasika that is not irritated, coarse
      or fierce, with the characteristics of friendliness (and
      because of its benevolence and beneficence, it is called
      metta.

      Karuna (same source):
      Karuna-cetasika is the cetasika that is beneficent to
      entities in trouble, with non-aggression as apparent
      characteristics.

      Object for Adosa can be pannatti or paramattha.
      Object for Metta is pannatti (beings)
      Object for Karuna is pannatti (beings)

      Cittas that compassion can arise with:
      (summary: possible mistakes)
      http://www.dhammastudy.com/paramat5.html (details)

      Based on my understandings of Dhamma, compassion (Karuna)
      does NOT arise with Satipatthana (mindfulness) as
      Satipatthana has paramattha dhamma as the object and karuna
      has pannatti as the object. I think this point is asserted
      (to some extent or other) among Sarah, Khun Amara, Khun Num,
      and I.

      Open issue that Khun Armara is verifying: alobha, when used
      in the sense of being metta, can have pannatti as the object
      only.

      kom

    • upasaka@aol.com
      Message 60 of 60 , Oct 24, 2003
        Hi, Rob -

        In a message dated 10/24/03 10:50:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        rob.moult@... writes:

        > Karuna
        > ======
        > The far enemy of karuna is cruelty. The near enemy of karuna is
        > aversion (based on worldly events). When we see someone else who is
        > in miserable circumstances, there tend to be moments of compassion
        > when we wish to help to allay his suffering and there can also be
        > moments of aversion about his suffering. Howard, if you would
        > define "pity" as "aversion to another's suffering", then we are
        > saying the same thing.

        Yes, I understand pity as a kind of compassion defiled by both
        aversion and a sense of separation from the object of that pity (and even, at times,
        carrying an element of contempt) rather than loving identification.

        phantom, and a dream./ (From the Diamond Sutra)