Re: [dsg] Thinking and thoughts -- status of

  • upasaka@aol.com
    Message 1 of 62 , Oct 1, 2004
      Hi, Jon -

      In a message dated 10/1/04 5:25:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
      jonoabb@... writes:

      > Now putting aside for the moment such considerations as the possibility of
      > misinterpretation by others (since all of us here are alert to this danger
      > and can
      > discount it for the purpose of the present discussion), is it not correct to
      > say that the
      > citta experiences the object of citta?

      =========================
      No, that formulation is not one that I accept as useful. When there is
      the experience of hardness, what I believe is the case is that hardness is
      present. The hardness is rupa and its (experiential) presence is vi~n~nana [in
      the harmless, non-self sense]. I find speaking of a citta experiencing an
      object as putting forward two self-existing entities in which the first is an agent
      that cognizes the second, and this makes "the citta" into an actor - a
      homunculus, a little person". That's how I see it, and it has no appeal to me. But
      that's me. Obviously you see it differently. That's fine.

      phantom, and a dream./ (From the Diamond Sutra)

    • upasaka@aol.com
      Message 62 of 62 , Oct 25, 2004
        Hi again, Ken -

        In a message dated 10/25/04 10:17:51 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        upasaka@... writes:

        > sense object -------->
        > sense door --------> contact --------->
        > Feeling
        > sense consciousness -------->
        > (Convergence)

        The arrows went awry in the course of mailing the post. The word
        'Feeling' should be on the line above it, to the right of the arrow following
        'contact', and the "sense consciousness" and "convergence" lines should
        corresponding be one line higher. Also, the first group of three arrows should be lined
        up, pointing towards 'contact', and the parenthesized word 'convergence' should
        be further right, directly under the word 'contact'. Sorry.

        phantom, and a dream./ (From the Diamond Sutra)