Re: [DhammaStudyGroup]Compassion

  • Sarah Procter Abbott
    Message 1 of 60 , Mar 1, 2001
      Amara,

      sorry, I ment KOM said...

      S.

      yes, too much brain eating perhaps!!....

      Cybele, Bruce is quite up to any brain-eaters....he's
      in his element..

      hang in there yourself, you're doing fine too!

      with compassion for all demented, half-eaten brains
      and brain-eaters...

      the weary B-E

      Message 60 of 60 , Oct 24, 2003
        Hi, Rob -

        In a message dated 10/24/03 10:50:17 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
        rob.moult@... writes:

        > Karuna
        > ======
        > The far enemy of karuna is cruelty. The near enemy of karuna is
        > aversion (based on worldly events). When we see someone else who is
        > in miserable circumstances, there tend to be moments of compassion
        > when we wish to help to allay his suffering and there can also be
        > moments of aversion about his suffering. Howard, if you would
        > define "pity" as "aversion to another's suffering", then we are
        > saying the same thing.

        Yes, I understand pity as a kind of compassion defiled by both
        aversion and a sense of separation from the object of that pity (and even, at times,
        carrying an element of contempt) rather than loving identification.

        phantom, and a dream./ (From the Diamond Sutra)