sensual pleasures increase craving

  • Antony Woods
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 20, 2004
      Buddha said:

      "...beings not free from passion for sensual pleasures --
      devoured by sensual craving, burning with sensual fever --
      indulge in sensual pleasures. The more they indulge in
      sensual pleasures, the more their sensual craving
      increases and the more they burn with sensual fever..."
      http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/majjhima/mn075.html

      � Price FOXTEL Digital Installation On-Line Limited Offer:
      http://ninemsn.com.au/share/redir/adTrack.asp?mode=click&clientID=225&referral=Hotmail_tagline_July04&URL=http://ad.au.doubleclick.net/clk;9412514;9681905;p?http://www.foxtel.com.au/2231.htm
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 23, 2004
        Hi Antony,

        It's good to see you around again.

        --- Antony Woods <antony272b@...> wrote: > Buddha said:

        > "...beings not free from passion for sensual pleasures --
        > devoured by sensual craving, burning with sensual fever --
        > indulge in sensual pleasures. The more they indulge in
        > sensual pleasures, the more their sensual craving
        > increases and the more they burn with sensual fever..."
        > http://www.accesstoinsight.org/canon/sutta/majjhima/mn075.html
        Thank you for referring us to this sutta which contains many wonderful
        passages. I like these ones later on in the sutta too (Nanamoli/Bodhi
        transl):

        "So too, Maagandiya, if I were to teach you the Dhamma thus: This is that
        health, this is that Nibbaana,' you might know health and see Nibbaana.
        Together with the arising of your vision, your desire and lust for the
        five aggregates affected by clinging might be abandoned. Then perhaps you
        might think: 'Indeed, I have long been tricked, cheated, and defrauded by
        this mind. For when clinging, I have been clinging just to material form,
        I have been clinging just to feeling, I have been clinging just to
        perception, I have been clinging just to formations. I have been clinging
        just to consciousness. With my clinging as condition, being [comes to be].
        with being as condition, birth; with birth as condition, ageing and death,
        sorow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despeair come to be. Such is the
        origin of this whole mass of suffering."
        Isn't it true? Aren't we tricked, cheated and defrauded by the mind all
        the time into thinking it's something other than the clinging to the 5
        khandhas -- the sensual craving -- that is bringing all this 'whole mass
        of suffering'? isn't it madness to 'burn with sensual fever' on account of
        namas and rupas?
        "Then, Maagandiya, associate with true men. When you associae with true
        men, you will hear the true Dhamma. When you hear the true Dhamma, you
        will practise in accordance with the true Dhamma. When you practise in
        accordance with the true Dhamma, you will know and see for yourself thus:
        'These are diseases, turmours, and darts; but here these diseases,
        tumours, and darts cease without remainder. With the cessation of my
        clinging comes cessation of being; with the cessation of being, cessation
        of birth; with the cessation of birth, ageing and death, sorrow,
        lamentation, pain, grief, and despair cease. Such is the cessation of
        this whole mass of suffering."
        Antony, hope you'll share some of your own reflections on these or other
        passages and that we all get to see the khandhas or being the diseases,
        tumours or darts which they are -- not worthy of clinging to.

        ======